Electromagnetic Generator Coil Number Help

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how many coils to make for their circular spinning disk type generator using 6 strong neodymium magnets. They have searched for information on Google but have not found a solution due to their limited magnet source. They are curious about the optimal ratio of coils to magnets for maximum power output.
tachyon_man
Hello, I am building a generator for a project in my physics class. I have lots of magnetic wire and 6 VERY strong neodymium magnets, their area isn't overly large (I'd say about 1.5x1.5 inches). How many coils would be best for me to make for the stator? I am making a circular spinning disk type one. I read somewhere that 12 magnets means 12 coils and so on so am I only able to make 6 coils or can I make 9? I'm just not sure if it would interfere with the magnetic field the coils generate or something else that would lead to the generator not outputting much power. Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
tachyon man,

Have you searched for how others have designed and built this kind of generator? Google is your friend. It can help you find information. Learn to use Google search and you will get new knowledge, satisfaction, and be happier.

I entered the search words “electric generator with permanent magnets design” and about 2,940,000 results appeared in 0.28 seconds. Why not try to discover how others build permanent magnet generators? Then if you have any doubts or specific questions, post them here. Members here are always willing to assist any true searcher trying to learn the mechanisms of nature.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Google is indeed my friend and i have tried searching but no one seems to have a limited magnet source, the designs I've seen use more magnets but weaker ones. I was just wondering if more coils = more power or if there is a optimal ratio of coil to magnet to ensure maximum power output. Thanks!

Last edited:
Please help someone

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your electromagnetic generator project. The number of coils you need for your stator depends on several factors, including the strength of your magnets and the size and shape of your spinning disk. Generally, the more magnets you have, the more coils you will need.

If you have 6 strong neodymium magnets, then 6 coils would be the minimum number needed for your generator to function. However, having more coils can increase the efficiency of your generator and potentially increase its power output. If you have enough magnetic wire, I would recommend making 12 coils to match the number of magnets you have. This will ensure a balanced and efficient design.

As for the size of the coils, it is important to make sure they are evenly spaced and placed in a way that will not interfere with the magnetic field created by the magnets. If the coils are too close together, they may interfere with each other and reduce the overall power output of your generator.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project! If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I am always happy to assist with projects like this.

1. How many coils should an electromagnetic generator have?

The number of coils in an electromagnetic generator can vary depending on the specific design and purpose of the generator. Generally, a larger number of coils will result in a stronger and more efficient generator. However, the optimal number of coils can also depend on factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the coils, and the intended output of the generator.

2. What is the ideal shape for the coils in an electromagnetic generator?

The ideal shape for the coils in an electromagnetic generator will depend on the specific design and intended use of the generator. In general, a circular or rectangular shape is preferred as it allows for a more even distribution of magnetic field and reduces energy loss. However, the shape can also vary depending on the type of core used and other design considerations.

3. How do you determine the number of turns for each coil in an electromagnetic generator?

The number of turns for each coil in an electromagnetic generator is determined by various factors such as the size and shape of the coils, the strength of the magnetic field, and the desired output of the generator. It can be calculated using equations such as Faraday's Law and the Biot-Savart Law, or through experimentation and testing.

4. Can the number of coils be changed after the generator is built?

In most cases, the number of coils in an electromagnetic generator cannot be easily changed once it is built. This is because the coils are typically wound around a core, and changing the number of coils would require dismantling and rebuilding the entire generator. However, some generators may have adjustable or interchangeable coils for different purposes.

5. How does the number of coils affect the efficiency of an electromagnetic generator?

The number of coils in an electromagnetic generator can significantly impact its efficiency. Generally, a larger number of coils will result in a stronger and more efficient generator. This is because more coils allow for a higher magnetic field strength and a larger area for energy conversion. However, too many coils can also lead to energy loss and decreased efficiency, so the optimal number of coils will depend on various design considerations and testing.