Electromagnetic mass of an electron

In summary, the Wikipedia article discusses the concept of electromagnetic mass and its relationship to rest mass and energy. The article explains that electromagnetic mass is the energy required to assemble a sphere of magnitude one electron charge, and that the size of the sphere is chosen to give the correct number for the mass. The article also mentions that the letter "c" in the equation stands for the speed of light and that there are no general rules for subscripts.
PainterGuy
Hi,

I was reading the following Wikipedia article and couldn't make sense of few points. I'd appreciate it if you could help me with it.

1599699951272.png

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_mass#Rest_mass_and_energy

Question 1:
What is this "electrostatic energy ##E_{em}##"? Is it some kind of electric potential energy? But electrostatic potential energy exists between two charges.

Question 2:
I think "##m_{em}##" is electromagnetic mass of electron at rest. What would be non-electromagnetic mass electron? From the formula it looks like non-electromagnetic mass of electron would be "0".

Question 3:
I don't think the letter "c" in the stands for the speed of light since electron is at rest. It is not stated what "c" is. Could you please comment on it?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I direct you to the article about classical electron radius before waving my hands rapidly at your questions.

answer1: ##E_{em}## represents the required to assemble a sphere of magnitude one electron charge (thereby overcoming the repulsion). The size of the sphere is chosen to give correct number for the mass.

answer2: from answer1 it is chosen so that ##m_{em}= E_{em}/c^2##

answer3: c is light speed

The complete answers here in fact contain ##\hbar## and are therefore quantum mechanical in nature particularly for complete description of the electromagnetic field.

Likes PainterGuy
Thank you!

1599720224520.png

If it's electrostatic energy then shouldn't the subscript be "es" in "##E_{em}##"?

There are no general rules regarding subscripts. Author decides what he/she wants to use. It does not have to make sense for everyone.

1. What is the electromagnetic mass of an electron?

The electromagnetic mass of an electron is the mass that is attributed to the electron's electric and magnetic fields. It is not a physical mass, but rather a mathematical concept used in certain equations to describe the behavior of electrons in electromagnetic fields.

2. How is the electromagnetic mass of an electron calculated?

The electromagnetic mass of an electron is calculated using the Larmor formula, which takes into account the electron's charge, velocity, and acceleration in an electromagnetic field. It is also related to the electron's electric and magnetic dipole moments.

3. What is the difference between the electromagnetic mass and the rest mass of an electron?

The rest mass of an electron is the actual physical mass of the electron, while the electromagnetic mass is a theoretical concept used in certain equations. The rest mass is constant and does not change, while the electromagnetic mass can vary depending on the strength of the electromagnetic field.

4. How does the electromagnetic mass of an electron affect its behavior?

The electromagnetic mass of an electron plays a role in the electron's response to electromagnetic forces. In strong fields, the electromagnetic mass can increase, causing the electron to behave as if it has a larger mass. This can affect the electron's trajectory and energy levels.

5. Is the concept of electromagnetic mass unique to electrons?

No, the concept of electromagnetic mass can be applied to any charged particle, such as protons and muons. However, the electromagnetic mass is most commonly discussed in relation to electrons due to their small size and important role in many physical phenomena.