Electromagnetic/Maxwell Equations

• Thread starter ettojar
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an electromagnetic wave in a vacuum and finding the values of A, B, C, and D. The fields E and B are perpendicular to the direction of propagation and can be found using dot products. The direction of propagation is related to the speed of light.
ettojar
Electromagnetic wave in a vacuum:

E=(1.3i + 2.6j + Ak) (10^2 V/m) e^i[(2.1x + Cy + 2.1z) 10^7 m^-1 - Dt]
B=(-7.5i + Bj + 7.5k) (10^-7 T) e^i[(2.1x + Cy + 2.1z) 10^7 m^-1 - Dt]

Find A,B,C,D

Not too sure how to approach, but since both have to be perpendicular to propagation should A and B = 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
no, how did you get that? but i think you have answered half the question, if you know the fields are perpindicular to the direction of propogation,

so what is the direction of propagation & try some dot products...

also how are the direction of the E & B fields related? What does represent & how is it relate to the speed of light?

What are the "Electromagnetic/Maxwell Equations"?

The electromagnetic/Maxwell equations are a set of four partial differential equations that describe the fundamental laws of electromagnetism. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and have since been used to explain and predict a wide range of electromagnetic phenomena.

What is the significance of the "Electromagnetic/Maxwell Equations"?

The electromagnetic/Maxwell equations are of great significance as they provide a unified framework for understanding the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and their interactions with matter. They have been used to develop many modern technologies, such as radio, television, and wireless communication.

What are the four equations that make up the "Electromagnetic/Maxwell Equations"?

The four equations are Gauss's law for electric fields, Gauss's law for magnetic fields, Faraday's law of induction, and Ampere's law with Maxwell's addition. Together, these equations describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields and how they are affected by charges and currents.

How do the "Electromagnetic/Maxwell Equations" relate to each other?

The four equations of the electromagnetic/Maxwell equations are interconnected and build upon each other. They show how electric and magnetic fields are generated by charges and currents, how they interact with each other, and how they propagate through space.

What are some real-world applications of the "Electromagnetic/Maxwell Equations"?

The electromagnetic/Maxwell equations have numerous applications in modern technology, including telecommunications, medical imaging, and power generation. They are also used in fields such as optics, acoustics, and plasma physics.