Electromagnetic physical force feedback

In summary: These might be too bulky for practical purposes. Probably. 'Good' force feedback would require very, very small magnets thanks to how sensitive our fingers and hands are. These might be too bulky for practical purposes.
kolleamm
I want to create a small pad consisting of two electromagnets that repel and attract each other, this can give the feeling that something is pushing up against your skin if held. Is this a practical idea?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What range of motion is required? Would a speaker work?

CWatters said:
What range of motion is required? Would a speaker work?
Something very compact and flat, maybe something you could fit on a finger tip. I'm not sure maybe a speaker would work, but perhaps they may be too big?

It sounds like a phone vibrator. They are small, and low-powered.

If you have two magents that move, you need something to make them move, and something else to power them like a battery. How small do you think you could make that?

A low impedance earbud after removing the part that goes into the ear (both the soft cushion and the hard plastic.) Their will be a metal diaphragm that moves with the applied current; that's what generates the sound. You will probably have to glue the diaphragm onto the case, it is normally held on by the part you removed.

kolleamm said:
I want to create a small pad consisting of two electromagnets that repel and attract each other, this can give the feeling that something is pushing up against your skin if held. Is this a practical idea?

There's not really enough details here to say yes or no. What is the purpose of this? What do you mean when you say that it will give the feeling that something is pushing up against your skin? Just holding a rock will give me the feeling that something is pushing against my skin. Will these magnets be part of a larger device, such as a glove or some other apparatus? These kinds of details matter a great deal, as they decide how big these magnets would need to be, how much power they would require, where they would be located, etc.

Likes kolleamm
Drakkith said:
There's not really enough details here to say yes or no. What is the purpose of this? What do you mean when you say that it will give the feeling that something is pushing up against your skin? Just holding a rock will give me the feeling that something is pushing against my skin. Will these magnets be part of a larger device, such as a glove or some other apparatus? These kinds of details matter a great deal, as they decide how big these magnets would need to be, how much power they would require, where they would be located, etc.
Hi, your right about giving more details. Just like you mentioned I would like to use these embedded electromagnets in a glove. The two electromagnets repel each other giving a feeling of force on the users fingers or palm by them pushing up against it, that's the general idea I had in mind. I would like to try to make some electromagnets but thought it be better to ask here first to see if this is practical.

Thanks for all your responses so far

anorlunda said:
Is this similar to what you are trying to do?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_glove
Thanks for the link! I will have to do more research on wired gloves for sure now! :) I'm just wondering why nobody uses electromagnets for haptic feedback. Too bulky perhaps?

kolleamm said:
Thanks for the link! I will have to do more research on wired gloves for sure now! :) I'm just wondering why nobody uses electromagnets for haptic feedback. Too bulky perhaps?

Probably. 'Good' force feedback would require very, very small magnets thanks to how sensitive our fingers and hands are.

1. What is electromagnetic physical force feedback?

Electromagnetic physical force feedback is a type of haptic feedback technology that uses electromagnetic actuators to create realistic sensations of touch and movement in virtual environments.

2. How does electromagnetic physical force feedback work?

This technology works by using magnets and coils to generate forces that simulate the sensation of touch and movement. The magnets and coils are controlled by electrical currents, which can be adjusted to create different levels of force.

3. What are the benefits of using electromagnetic physical force feedback?

One of the main benefits of this technology is its ability to provide a more realistic and immersive experience in virtual environments. It can also improve the accuracy and precision of interactions, making them feel more natural and intuitive.

4. What are some applications of electromagnetic physical force feedback?

This technology is commonly used in virtual reality and video game systems to enhance the user's experience. It is also used in medical training simulators, flight simulators, and other training programs to provide a more realistic and effective learning experience.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using electromagnetic physical force feedback?

One limitation of this technology is its high cost and complexity, which can make it inaccessible for some applications. It also requires a significant amount of power and can generate heat, which may be a concern for some devices. Additionally, electromagnetic physical force feedback may not be suitable for individuals with certain medical conditions, such as pacemakers.