Electromagnetic Radioation Optics

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the equation 1/f = 1/do + 1/di to determine the image of a person 3.0m away in a convex mirror with a focal length of 16cm. The solution is -15cm, but the person is unsure of how to arrive at this answer and speculates that it may involve theory.
AndrewTT
User informed about mandatory use of homework template.
A convex mirror has a focal length of 16cm. How far behind the mirror does the image of a person 3.0m away appear?

I've tried using the equation
1/f = 1/do + 1/di

The answer to the solution is -15cm but I'm not sure how to get there. I'm thinking that it might have something that deals with theory to solve this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi AndrewTT and welcome to PF!

As you can read in our guidelines, you need to provide a little more information on your attempt. For example:
AndrewTT said:
I've tried using the equation
1/f = 1/do + 1/di
What did you get when you tried to use this?

FAQ: Electromagnetic Radioation Optics

1. What is electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic radiation is a type of energy that is propagated through space in the form of waves. It includes a broad range of wavelengths, from very long radio waves to very short gamma rays.

2. How is electromagnetic radiation classified?

Electromagnetic radiation is classified based on its wavelength or frequency. The electromagnetic spectrum includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

3. What is the relationship between electromagnetic radiation and optics?

Optics is the study of light and its interactions with matter. As electromagnetic radiation is a form of light, optics is concerned with the behavior and manipulation of electromagnetic radiation.

4. How is electromagnetic radiation used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic radiation has many practical applications in everyday life. For example, radio waves are used for communication, microwaves for cooking, infrared radiation for remote controls, and visible light for vision.

5. What are the potential health risks associated with electromagnetic radiation?

There is ongoing research on the potential health risks of prolonged exposure to electromagnetic radiation, especially from sources such as cell phones and Wi-Fi. However, the current scientific consensus is that the levels of electromagnetic radiation encountered in daily life are not harmful to human health.

Back