Electromagnetic Waves (Experiment)

In summary, the speaker is looking for experiments related to Maxwell's equations and electromagnetic waves. They mention finding one experiment (Hertz' experiment) but it is not detailed enough and they cannot design it without specific dimensions. They also mention wanting to do experiments measuring the speed and properties of electromagnetic radiation, but cannot find any information or equipment for these experiments. They ask if there are any other experiments available or if they can use measurements from other sources. Another person suggests studying the theory first before attempting any experiments.
Vegeta
I have about Maxwell's equations and electromagnetic waves. I'm looking for experiments related to this subject. I only found this (Hertz' experiment),
http://www.juliantrubin.com/bigten/hertzexperiment.html
But that is not detailed enough, my (high school/secondary school) teacher says, that I can't design that Hertz' transmitter, because I don't have its specific dimensions. But is that necessary?
However I also thought about doing experiments like measuring the speed of electromagnetic radiation, or it's (wave) properties, like reflection and refraction. But I can't find anything about such experiments on the internet, and my school doesn't have any useful equipment to design such experiments.
And if there are any other experiments about this subject, I would be happy to hear it.

If I can't make the experiment, are there then any places, where I can get measurements from such experiments? Because if I can't do the experiment, I'm allowed to use other peoples measurements.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I found this link for you, but I'm not sure if it really helps.
It shows the equipment your are looking, but no prices are listed.
You may be able to get the build specifications from them if you ask.
That way you can to build your own.

http://www.sea.co.th/seaweb/laboratoryexperimentsphysics.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend you study the theory first. If you don't know that, chances are you won't know what you're doing, so the experiments are useless.

What is an electromagnetic wave?

An electromagnetic wave is a type of energy that travels through space in the form of oscillating electric and magnetic fields. It does not require a medium to propagate and can travel through a vacuum.

How are electromagnetic waves created?

Electromagnetic waves are created when an electric charge is accelerated. This acceleration produces a changing electric field, which in turn creates a changing magnetic field. These changing fields combine to form an electromagnetic wave.

What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency in electromagnetic waves?

The wavelength of an electromagnetic wave is inversely proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

How are electromagnetic waves classified?

Electromagnetic waves are classified based on their frequency, which is measured in Hertz (Hz). They are typically divided into seven categories: radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays.

What are some practical applications of electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves have a wide range of practical applications, including communication (e.g. radio and satellite signals), heating (e.g. microwaves), imaging (e.g. X-rays), and energy production (e.g. solar panels). They are also used in medical treatments, such as radiation therapy for cancer.