Electromagnetism/Magnetism concept questions.

• Thread starter Unillusive
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concept
In summary, electromagnetism and magnetism are closely related concepts that involve the interaction between electricity and magnetism. Some common questions related to these topics include: What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet? How do magnetic fields work? How does electricity create a magnetic field? What is the electromagnetic spectrum? Understanding these concepts is crucial in fields such as physics, electrical engineering, and telecommunications.
Unillusive
Hey all. I'm not sure how conceptional questions work on this site... so I guess I'll try to attempt to answer them and you guys correct me if I'm wrong? Here goes:

For the statement below, write true or rewrite the quoted portion to make the statement true.
The "magnitude" of the magnetic force on a current-carrying wire depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the current in the wire, and the length of wire in the magnetic field.
- My answer: True because the magnetic field, current in the wire, and length of the magnetic field end up being the magnitude of the magnetic force...(Yeah, I'm not so sure)

How are the forces between charges similar to the forces between magnetic poles?
- My answer: Both are similar because they relate to geographic north and magnetic south...

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unillusive said:
For the statement below, write true or rewrite the quoted portion to make the statement true.
The "magnitude" of the magnetic force on a current-carrying wire depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the current in the wire, and the length of wire in the magnetic field.
- My answer: True because the magnetic field, current in the wire, and length of the magnetic field end up being the magnitude of the magnetic force...(Yeah, I'm not so sure)

Good, this is correct. You may, however, want to reference the following formula in your explanation:
[tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{F}=\stackrel{\rightarrow}{I}L\times\stackrel{\rightarrow}{B}[/tex]

Unillusive said:
How are the forces between charges similar to the forces between magnetic poles?
- My answer: Both are similar because they relate to geographic north and magnetic south...

Here you are supposed to be comparing the electric force between two charged particles to the magnetic force between two magnets.

Hi Unillusive ...
Conceptual questions or anything related to physics i guess works on this site...

Anyway coming to your questions the first one seems correct and i agree with your explanation...
The second one needs to be more specific...i think...wat do you say Beaker87?

I mean on what parameters do we have to compare...They are same if you say that like poles repel and unlike forces attract...but that's it...
If you talk about electric field and stuff>>>they have a few differences...

I was thinking that Unillusive could use the equations for the interaction between charged particles, and discuss any similarities to the equation for the interaction between magnets.
I.e. the inverse square relationship, and as you said, the fact that like charges attract, while unlike charges repel.

Ya...one can think in those lines...
I admit at this stage i don't know a whole lot about interaction of magnets...Interaction of charges are much simpler...hmmm...

i want some clearification here, i think that the last point, "lenght of the wire" is wrong because no matter how long the wire is, the magnetic force in that current carrying wire wud still be the same UNTIL any of these factors are altered :
1.the size of the current flowing through the current carrying wire
2.the number of coils made
3.the strenght of the magnet (thus the strenght of the magnetic field)

one more , a soft magnetic material placed inside the coil of wires (like a solonoid)

Abhishekdas said:
Ya...one can think in those lines...
I admit at this stage i don't know a whole lot about interaction of magnets...Interaction of charges are much simpler...hmmm...

The formula for finding the magnetic force between two magnets can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet#Calculating_the_magnetic_force

Thanks Beaker87 i will refer to that...

and hms.tech...over here i don't see the relation of coils...i mean going by the formulay Bil=force the length l does play a role right?

1. What is the difference between electromagnetism and magnetism?

Electromagnetism is the interaction between electricity and magnetism, while magnetism is the property of certain materials to attract or repel other materials based on their polarity.

2. How does an electric current create a magnetic field?

When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. This is because the moving electric charges in the wire generate a circular magnetic field around the wire.

3. Can magnets lose their magnetism over time?

Yes, magnets can lose their magnetism over time due to factors such as exposure to high temperatures, physical damage, and demagnetizing fields. This is known as demagnetization.

4. How does the Earth's magnetic field protect us from harmful solar radiation?

The Earth's magnetic field acts as a shield against harmful solar radiation by deflecting charged particles from the sun away from the Earth's surface. This protects living organisms from the harmful effects of these particles.

5. What is the relationship between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are closely related and are two different aspects of the same fundamental force. An electric current produces a magnetic field, and a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current. This is known as electromagnetic induction.