Electromagnetism: Questions About Energy Density

In summary, the individual is studying electromagnetism and facing difficulties understanding the energy density. They have found a helpful resource in the form of a PDF and are seeking clarification on certain concepts, such as the surface integral being 0 and the use of the (deltaD). E term. They receive clarification on the use of the product rule and the reason for the surface integral being 0 when dealing with dielectric materials. The conversation also touches on the conversion between D and E and the behavior of these vectors at infinity.
Gavins
Hey I am studying electromagnetism at the moment and one problem I'm having is the energy density.
Instead of typing everything out, this pdf has everything. http://www.physics.sfsu.edu/~lea/courses/ugrad/360notes11.pdf There are some things I don't understand. Why is the surface integral 0? He just says that it's 0 for the usual reasons. Then I'm not sure what he's doing with the (deltaD). E thing. I don't understand how he puts the whole thing in the delta and then a half pops out.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think he is just using the usual product rule to get the half:
[tex]\Delta (E \cdot E)=\Delta E \cdot E + E \cdot \Delta E = 2(\Delta E\cdot E)[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \Delta E\cdot E = \frac{1}{2} \Delta (E \cdot E)[/tex]

As for the integral being zero, I'm not sure, perhaps it's zero in the limit.

You must be having so much fun, i love the book of Griffiths;
now, he used D because he is dealing with dielectric metarial, there you should not consider bounded charges since they are not cause but result.
div(D)=Pf but div(E)=P (here since i don't have rho, P is charge density) if you use E you can not undrestand if the thing you got is either free or bounded.
Zorba is right, USUALLY V is zero at the infinity, so first integral vanishes.
As you continue, you don't have to be afraid of confusing E or D because from now on you won't deal with charge any more, you can convert D to k€E then as you have same variable in delta or d, you can tell d(E^2)=2EdE, or the reverse.
After all if you like it this way you may not touch it and have some k€ there or you can convert it back and have ½ED

"Why is the surface integral 0? He just says that it's 0 for the usual reasons."

the electric displacement D vector as you go to infinity is proportional to 1/r^2 and the potential is a 1/r. the dA has a r^2 term in it. therefore making the whole term in the integral a 1/r, hence as you go out to infinity(integrating over all of space), the surface integral goes to zero

I can understand your confusion about energy density in electromagnetism. I took a look at the pdf you provided and I can provide some clarification.

Firstly, the surface integral is 0 because the surface being integrated over is a closed surface, enclosing a volume. This means that any energy entering the volume must also exit the volume, resulting in a net energy of 0. This is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism known as the divergence theorem.

Regarding the (deltaD). E term, this is a mathematical manipulation used to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve. The author is essentially taking the derivative of the electric displacement field (D) with respect to the electric field (E), which is a common technique in electromagnetism.

As for the "half" that pops out, this is simply a mathematical constant that arises from the integration process. It is a result of the integration limits and the shape of the surface being integrated over.

I hope this helps to clarify some of your questions about energy density in electromagnetism. Keep studying and don't be afraid to ask for further clarification if needed. Understanding these concepts is crucial for a deeper understanding of electromagnetism. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is energy density in the context of electromagnetism?

Energy density in the context of electromagnetism refers to the amount of energy stored per unit volume in an electromagnetic field. It is a measure of the strength of the electric and magnetic fields in a given region.

2. How is energy density calculated in an electromagnetic field?

The energy density in an electromagnetic field is calculated by multiplying the electric field intensity by the magnetic field intensity and dividing by 2. This equation, known as the Poynting vector, gives the energy flow per unit area in the direction of the wave propagation.

3. What factors affect the energy density in an electromagnetic field?

The energy density in an electromagnetic field is affected by the amplitude of the electric and magnetic fields, the frequency of the electromagnetic wave, and the medium through which the wave is propagating. It is also influenced by the presence of conductive materials or obstacles in the path of the wave.

4. How does energy density relate to the strength of an electromagnetic wave?

The energy density in an electromagnetic field is directly proportional to the strength of the wave. This means that as the amplitude of the electric and magnetic fields increases, so does the energy density. A higher energy density indicates a more intense and powerful electromagnetic wave.

5. What are some practical applications of energy density in electromagnetism?

Energy density in electromagnetism has various practical applications, including in the design and optimization of electromagnetic systems such as antennas, transmitters, and receivers. It is also used in the development of technologies such as wireless power transfer and electromagnetic shielding. Additionally, energy density plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves in different environments, such as in the Earth's ionosphere or in outer space.