Electromotive Force: AC Voltage, Inductor & Conservative Field

In summary: , so in summary the current will be the same inside the voltage source as long as there is no resistance?
tonyjk
Hello,
In an electrical circuit, let's say we have an AC voltage source In addition, we have an Inductor that stores electrical energy when the current is rising than give back this energy to the voltage source when the current is falling. My question is,at the stage when the energy is given back to the voltage source, how the current inside the voltage source will be against the EMF? is it the Conservative electric field of the voltage source that is driving the current inside it at this stage?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The line integral of any conservative field around the whole circuit is zero. What drives the current is the algebraic sum of the emf induced in the coil due to the falling flux and the emf of the supply, at any instant.

The first sentence above, I think, is indisputable. The question is: is it relevant? In particular does the second sentence follow from it. I rather think it does, inasmuch as the correct equation is [itex]|emf_{supply}| - |emf_{coil}| = |IR|[/itex]. There is no potential difference term. I regard all terms, including [itex]IR[/itex], as work terms. I suspect this is controversial.

Last edited:
Correction: please remove modulus signs ( | ).

Thanks Philip, but let's say the voltage source is constant and positive but the current is negative, how the current is circulating inside the source against the EMF?

I'm confused. Are we no longer dealing with an ac voltage source, as in your original post?

What is the circuit? Is it simply a coil connected across a voltage source? If so, is it a constant voltage source or alternating?

If it's a constant voltage source, the current will never be negative (if you mean in the opposite direction from that of the supply emf). The current will rise, but more and more slowly.

I'm not trying to be awkward; I simply don't understand the set-up.

Yes Sorry Philips, I mean that for AC Supply, sometime the source has positive voltage and the current is negative

Try this...

Attachments

• emfs.jpg
    emfs.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 443
Yes Philip the EMF of the coil is driving the current when it is negative, so we can say because of the continuity of the current in a series circuit, the current will be the same inside the Voltage source right? but there is no "physical" description of why this is happening inside the voltage source

I think you're asking some quite deep questions. In the resistance-less set-up we're considering, the two emfs (source and coil) are always equal and opposite. The current doesn't need 'driving' round, because theres's no resistance. The current, as you say, will be the same all the way round. I suppose that it flows round the circuit rather like water in a heating system, because if electrons started to pile up in one place the region would become negatively charged and the pile-up could not continue, so I think conservative forces do play a part in the flow to this extent. These are deep waters.

Last edited:
Okay great Thanks a lot Philip

1. What is electromotive force (EMF)?

Electromotive force (EMF) is a measure of the energy that can be converted from electrical to other forms, or vice versa. It is commonly referred to as voltage, and it is the driving force behind the flow of electrical current.

2. How does AC voltage differ from DC voltage?

AC voltage, or alternating current voltage, is a type of electrical energy where the direction of current flow is constantly changing. This change in direction allows for the efficient transmission of electricity over long distances. In contrast, DC voltage, or direct current voltage, has a constant flow of current in one direction.

3. What is an inductor and how does it affect AC voltage?

An inductor is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. In AC circuits, an inductor can cause a phase shift between the voltage and current, which can affect the overall AC voltage. Inductors are commonly used in AC circuits to limit or filter the flow of current.

4. What is a conservative field in relation to electromotive force?

A conservative field is a type of electromagnetic field where the work done by the field on a particle moving through it is independent of the path taken by the particle. In other words, the amount of energy transferred by the field to the particle is the same regardless of the path it takes. In the context of electromotive force, this means that the voltage remains constant regardless of the path the electrical current takes.

5. How is electromotive force related to electric potential energy?

Electromotive force is closely related to electric potential energy, as both are measures of the energy associated with electric charges. EMF is the driving force behind the flow of electrical current, while electric potential energy is the amount of energy stored in an electric field. In AC circuits, the alternating voltage caused by EMF can result in changes in electric potential energy.