Electron accelerating in a bent wire

In summary, the conversation discussed the phenomenon of electrons moving through a wire with a 90 degree turn and the forces that prevent them from continuing out of the wire. The concept of work function was mentioned as well as the average speed of electrons in a current. The conversation also touched on the effects of high voltages and currents on sharp bends in cables, specifically in relation to lightning strikes. Overall, the conversation explored the challenges and considerations of electron movement in various scenarios.
lirkepirk
If I run a current through a wire with a 90 degree turn, what prevents the electrons from continuing out of the wire is a straight forward path? What force accelerates them in the direction of the wire?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks a lot!

lirkepirk said:
If I run a current through a wire with a 90 degree turn, what prevents the electrons from continuing out of the wire is a straight forward path? What force accelerates them in the direction of the wire?
Even without current and without a bent, we have the problem of electrons moving with speeds of tens of thousand of m/s through the metal.
Did you ever wondered why they don't get out of the metal?
I am not saying that it's not a good question. Just that is a more general one.

Likes davenn
lirkepirk said:

it does happen, but only with very high voltages and currents ( but it's still not a speed of electrons issue)
@rumborak covered that in his last post

When I was in the telecommunications industry, I would very often see this effect on sharp - 90 deg bends in cables that has been struck by lightning
It didn't matter if it was an underground multipair telephone cable, a coaxial cable or a lightning earthing cable on a pole/mast

It was amazing to see how the current from a lightning strike would travel down 100's of metres - several km's of cable in a straight line and then when that cable would do a bend to be spliced into the main trunk cable the current would punch a hole in the apex of the bend and go to ground

Dave

1. How does an electron accelerate in a bent wire?

When an electron travels through a bent wire, it experiences a force due to the magnetic field created by the wire. This force causes the electron to accelerate in a circular path, as it follows the curvature of the wire.

2. What factors affect the acceleration of an electron in a bent wire?

The acceleration of an electron in a bent wire is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the charge of the electron, and the mass of the electron. Additionally, the radius of the bend in the wire can also impact the acceleration of the electron.

3. How is the acceleration of an electron in a bent wire calculated?

The acceleration of an electron in a bent wire can be calculated using the formula a = qvB/m, where q is the charge of the electron, v is its velocity, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and m is the mass of the electron.

4. Can the direction of acceleration of an electron in a bent wire be changed?

Yes, the direction of an electron's acceleration in a bent wire can be changed by altering the direction of the magnetic field or by changing the direction of the electron's velocity.

5. What are some practical applications of electron acceleration in bent wires?

Electron acceleration in bent wires is used in various technologies, such as particle accelerators, cathode ray tubes, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. It is also important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields, which has applications in fields such as astrophysics and plasma physics.