Electron Approaching a Charged Sphere

In summary, the question is asking for the speed of an electron that starts from rest at a distance of 2.80 cm from the center of a uniformly charged sphere with a radius of 1.83 cm and a total charge of 1.01×10-9 C. By rearranging the terms and using the given values for the constants, the speed is calculated to be 7.9x10^7 m/s. The factor (r-initial - radius) is not needed in the solution.
jrk012

Homework Statement

An electron starts from rest 2.80 cm from the center of a uniformly charged sphere of radius 1.83 cm. If the sphere carries a total charge of 1.01×10-9 C, how fast will the electron be moving when it reaches the surface of the sphere?

Homework Equations

UI + KI = UF + KF
U=(k*Q*-e)/r
K=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Rearranging terms I got:

[([(k*Q*-e)/(r-initial)] - [(k*Q*-e)/(radius)])/(r-initial - radius)](2/m)

Using:
k = 9x10^9
Q = 1.01×10-9
e = 1.602 x 10^(-19)
m = 9.1094 x 10^(-31)
r-initial = .028m
radius = .0183m

I then get v^2 = 6.24x10^15. I square root(√) it to get v and I get:

v = 7.9x10^7 m/s

I have tried the negative and positive of this and I cannot solve it. Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
jrk012 said:

Homework Statement

An electron starts from rest 2.80 cm from the center of a uniformly charged sphere of radius 1.83 cm. If the sphere carries a total charge of 1.01×10-9 C, how fast will the electron be moving when it reaches the surface of the sphere?

Homework Equations

UI + KI = UF + KF
U=(k*Q*-e)/r
K=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Rearranging terms I got:

[([(k*Q*-e)/(r-initial)] - [(k*Q*-e)/(radius)])/(r-initial - radius)](2/m)

Using:
k = 9x10^9
Q = 1.01×10-9
e = 1.602 x 10^(-19)
m = 9.1094 x 10^(-31)
r-initial = .028m
radius = .0183m

I then get v^2 = 6.24x10^15. I square root(√) it to get v and I get:

v = 7.9x10^7 m/s

I have tried the negative and positive of this and I cannot solve it. Any help would be appreciated
What is the factor, (r-initial - radius) doing in there?

SammyS, you are a saint. Thank you!

1. What is an electron approaching a charged sphere?

An electron approaching a charged sphere refers to the movement of an electron towards a sphere that has a net positive or negative charge. This phenomenon is governed by the laws of electrostatics and can have various effects depending on the charge and size of the sphere.

2. What happens when an electron approaches a positively charged sphere?

If an electron approaches a positively charged sphere, it will experience an attractive force towards the sphere due to the difference in charge. The electron will accelerate towards the sphere and may eventually collide with it or orbit around it, depending on its initial velocity and the strength of the charge.

3. What happens when an electron approaches a negatively charged sphere?

If an electron approaches a negatively charged sphere, it will experience a repulsive force away from the sphere due to the like charges. The electron will decelerate and may change direction, depending on its initial velocity and the strength of the charge. It may also orbit around the sphere at a safe distance.

4. How does the distance between the electron and the charged sphere affect the force?

The force between an electron and a charged sphere is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance decreases, the force increases, and vice versa. For example, if the distance is halved, the force will quadruple.

5. Can an electron approach a neutral sphere?

Yes, an electron can approach a neutral sphere. In this case, there will be no electrostatic force acting on the electron, and it will continue to move in a straight line with its initial velocity. However, if the sphere becomes charged during the approach, the electron's trajectory will be affected by the resulting electrostatic force.