Electron Survival Theory at 0K: Explained

• Thread starter Denton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electron
In summary, electrons are able to survive due to the concept of zero-point energy, which states that particles can never reach absolute zero and therefore always have a minimum amount of energy. Additionally, energy and momentum must be conserved, and there are rules in place for when particles are allowed to disappear. Electrons tend to survive well, but can only leave their responsibilities through certain reactions or promotions.
Denton
What is the theory to explain how it still manages to survive.

Physics news on Phys.org
May I ask what is your definition of survival? Not turning into nothing?

I know almost nothing about quantum physics but as far as I heard, there is always certian amount of minimum energy in system also called zero-point energy. You cannot have less than that amount of energy (Something to do with Planck scale). So Electron, nor any other particle can ever reach absolute 0k and therefore there is no problem with the electron survival.

Tachyon.

Last edited:
Denton said:
What is the theory to explain how it still manages to survive.
Do you perhaps mean that at 0K the atom's electrons should stop moving?

Tachyonie said:
I know almost nothing about quantum physics but as far as I heard, there is always certian amount of minimum energy in system also called zero-point energy. You cannot have less than that amount of energy (Something to do with Planck scale). So Electron, nor any other particle can ever reach absolute 0k and therefore there is no problem with the electron survival.

Tachyon.

Not quite, due to the zero-point energy particles will move even at 0K.
(Although this motion will be very small).
Remember that there is no fundamental "equivalence" between motion and thermodynamic temperature, it is just that they happen to be related for e.g. a classical gas.

f95toli said:
Not quite, due to the zero-point energy particles will move even at 0K.
(Although this motion will be very small).
Remember that there is no fundamental "equivalence" between motion and thermodynamic temperature, it is just that they happen to be related for e.g. a classical gas.

Thanks for that correction.

Tachyon.

Even at 0k everything still moves.

Why?

Because if it didn't we'd know it's position and momentum, which is a no-no.

Riogho said:
Even at 0k everything still moves.

Why?

Because if it didn't we'd know it's position and momentum, which is a no-no.

It's not really a no-no, I thought that would come as a result of any attempted measurement on the particle, not simply knowing for sure that a particle is destined to be at place X with momentum = 0.

If momentum were exactly zero, position would be infinitely wide. It literally could be found anywhere in the universe, and it woule be indistinguishable from any other electron, so you'd have no idea if that was "the one" you saw.

A single electron in the middle of nowhere will just move in one direction forever. No reason to accelerate, ie no reason to vibrate. So it seems that temperature is undefined for a single electron with nothing nearby, or it's always 0K. Do the experts confirm?

Electron survival

As I recall, particles like electrons always survive unless there is a suitable reaction
they can undergo that allows them to disappear. This limits their options. Getting rid of their energy is just one problem they have.

Energy and momentum have to be conserved. Electrons have a rest mass, so even if they could stop moving they would have to get rid of the energy tied up in their rest mass before they could be allowed to leave. Momentum conservation normally means they have to hand over their momentum to another particle before they are allowed to go on holiday. There is also this thing called CPT symmetry, which lays down some rules about when they are allowed disappear.

My understanding is that electrons tend to survive pretty well. They only seem to be allowed to get out of their responsibilities by meeting up with positrons or getting promoted to being a muon or something like that. This is very rare, they can't just pop out of existence when they are running low on energy.

jackle said:
As I recall, particles like electrons always survive unless there is a suitable reaction
they can undergo that allows them to disappear. This limits their options. Getting rid of their energy is just one problem they have.

Energy and momentum have to be conserved. Electrons have a rest mass, so even if they could stop moving they would have to get rid of the energy tied up in their rest mass before they could be allowed to leave. Momentum conservation normally means they have to hand over their momentum to another particle before they are allowed to go on holiday. There is also this thing called CPT symmetry, which lays down some rules about when they are allowed disappear.

My understanding is that electrons tend to survive pretty well. They only seem to be allowed to get out of their responsibilities by meeting up with positrons or getting promoted to being a muon or something like that. This is very rare, they can't just pop out of existence when they are running low on energy.

Does it depend on a genetic disposition? :smile:

1. What is Electron Survival Theory at 0K?

Electron Survival Theory at 0K is a scientific theory that explains the behavior and movement of electrons at absolute zero temperature (0 Kelvin or -273.15 degrees Celsius).

2. Why is 0K important in Electron Survival Theory?

0K is important in Electron Survival Theory because it is the lowest possible temperature at which matter can exist. At this temperature, all thermal energy is removed from the system, allowing for a clearer understanding of the behavior of electrons without the influence of thermal energy.

3. How does Electron Survival Theory at 0K differ from other theories?

Electron Survival Theory at 0K differs from other theories in that it focuses specifically on the behavior of electrons at absolute zero temperature. Other theories may take into account the effects of thermal energy and other factors.

4. What are the practical applications of Electron Survival Theory at 0K?

Electron Survival Theory at 0K has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing, superconductivity, and nanotechnology. It can also provide insights into the behavior of electrons in extreme environments, such as in outer space.

5. Are there any limitations to Electron Survival Theory at 0K?

One limitation of Electron Survival Theory at 0K is that it only applies to systems at absolute zero temperature. It may not fully explain the behavior of electrons at higher temperatures or in more complex systems. Additionally, it is a relatively new theory and may require further research and experimentation to validate its principles.