Electron beam/atmosphere interaction

In summary, it is not possible to complete an electrical circuit using an electron beam. It would not detonate an explosive device, either.
msquared
Hello,

This is something that's puzzled me for a while, but I haven't been able to find any conclusive answers anywhere. What I'm wondering is, how far would an electron beam (such as that found in a TV) travel in the atmosphere before it lost its kinetic energy or bonded with the air molecules?

I've heard about particle beam weapons being researched for anti-missile applications and such, so that makes me think it could potentially go quite a ways...any answers or even suggestions as to where I could look would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The electron mean free path in air is of the order of [itex]10^{-6}[/itex] m for an energy of the order of 10's of eV. It doesn't make a very good weapon, I would think.

Zz.

Thanks for the quick reply, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Makes me wonder why they're researching them for military applications (for example, Medusa) though.

msquared said:
Makes me wonder why they're researching them for military applications (for example, Medusa) though.
MEDUSA uses a beam of microwave pulses, not electrons. To make any kind of a serious electron beam weapon, you'd have to accelerate the electrons to very high energy.

As Zz stated, low energy electrons (10's of eV) won't get very far in the atmosphere. I used to do electron scattering experiments at those energies--those experiments had to be done in a high vacuum chamber.

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up for me.

I think that most of the research into electron beams as anti-missile weapons were assuming the interception of ICBM's outside the atmosphere by an orbiting weapons platform. Electron beams make fairly decent weapons in a vacuum, especially against a target with sensitive electronics on board.

Can this technology be used to complete an electrical circiut between conductors at any distance? Develop to detonate IED?

averagejoe11 said:
Can this technology be used to complete an electrical circiut between conductors at any distance? Develop to detonate IED?

It would not complete a circuit unless it melts something and causes a short. Whether this is possible using microwaves I am unsure. (which is what I'm assuming your referring to, as an electron beam would be stopped by a few mm's of ground) If the electronics are shielded, which isn't hard, then I don't think so.
Although if it could be used as an IED detonator or minesweeper it would be pretty cool.

1. What is electron beam/atmosphere interaction?

Electron beam/atmosphere interaction is the process of electrons colliding with and interacting with the particles in Earth's atmosphere. This interaction can result in various phenomena, such as air ionization, radiation, and chemical reactions.

2. How does electron beam/atmosphere interaction affect our daily lives?

Electron beam/atmosphere interaction plays a crucial role in many technological applications, such as satellite communication, weather forecasting, and air pollution monitoring. It also contributes to the formation of natural phenomena like lightning and auroras.

3. What factors influence electron beam/atmosphere interaction?

The main factors that influence electron beam/atmosphere interaction include the energy and direction of the electron beam, the composition and density of the atmosphere, and the presence of magnetic fields.

4. What are the potential hazards of electron beam/atmosphere interaction?

High-energy electron beams can pose a significant danger to astronauts and satellites in space due to their potential to disrupt electronic systems. In the Earth's atmosphere, electron beam/atmosphere interaction can also contribute to the breakdown of the ozone layer and the formation of harmful chemicals.

5. How do scientists study electron beam/atmosphere interaction?

Scientists use various tools and techniques such as computer simulations, laboratory experiments, and satellite observations to study electron beam/atmosphere interaction. They also utilize data from past events, such as solar storms, to better understand and predict the effects of this phenomenon.