Electron confined to a rectangle with walls

In summary, the electron is confined to a rectangle with infinitely high walls and calculating the ground state energy requires treating the rectangle as a 2D box.
quantum_prince
An electron is confined to a rectangle with infinitely high walls.I need to calculate the ground state energy of the electron.

Can I treat a rectangle with infinite high walls to be the same as 2d box as mentioned here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_in_a_box

or it should be treated in some other way.

The problem mentions rectangle and not rectangular box as such, but since high walls are mentioned I thought it should be treated as 2d.

Will this apply for rectangle with high walls?.

For the 2-dimensional case the particle is confined to a rectangular surface of length Lx in the x-direction and Ly in the y-direction.

I think infinite high walls is mentioned only to inform us that the potential is zero inside the rectangle and infinite at the walls. If the rectangle had side lengths in nanometers can we still treat it as a 2-dimension box problem.

Regards.
QP.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a 2D box if the walls are infinite.

Thanks.

How can I figure this out to compare the wavelength of a photon emitted in a transition from the first excited state to the ground state with the spectrum of visible light in such a box.

The evs are just the sum of two 1D evs.
Then use hf=E12-E11.

Hi,

Could you elaborate a bit more.I don't follow.

Regards.
QP

The energy levels are
[tex]E_{mn}= \frac{h^2}{8M}\left[\left(\frac{m}{L_x}\right)^2
+\left(\frac{n}{L_y}\right)^2\right].[/tex]
Then hf=E12-E11.

How did you derive this equation?.Can you post me a link of where you got this from.

Regards.

QP.

Which kind of lecture course are you being asked to tackle this problem? I would say this is a classic introductory quantum mechanics problem - one of the first I remember looking at anyway. This question is the same as the box where the side-wall potentials aren't infinite and in fact it is actually easier. To derive the formula Meir Achuz has given is very instructive - you will no-doubt be asked to find similar results for various types of potentials and as such I would strongly recommend getting your notes/textbook out and attempting to work through it.

quantum_prince said:
How did you derive this equation?.Can you post me a link of where you got this from.

Regards.

QP.
You could just look at your Wikipedia and add the two 1D eigenvalues given there.

Hi Meir,

I use the following formulae.

[tex]\lambda = \frac{hc}{E12-E11}[/tex]

In such a case

I have [tex]\lambda = \frac {8McL_y^2}{3h} [/tex]

Taking Mass of electron as 9*10^31 kg

c as 3*10^8 m/sec Ly as 400nm and h as 6.634*10^-34, I get

[tex]\lambda = 0.16 m[/tex] which is huge where as most of the wavelengths we see are in between the range of 400-800nm.How would this be possible?.

As I understand h in your equation is the same as h what I have in what equation I have with me.You have used Planck's constant instead of dirac constant right?.

Regards.
Q.P

Last edited:

Related to Electron confined to a rectangle with walls

1. What is an electron confined to a rectangle with walls?

An electron confined to a rectangle with walls refers to a quantum mechanical model in which an electron is confined to a two-dimensional rectangular region. The walls represent boundaries where the electron's wave function goes to zero, and the electron is unable to escape.

2. How does the confinement of an electron to a rectangle with walls affect its behavior?

The confinement of an electron to a rectangle with walls leads to quantization of its energy levels. This means that the electron can only have certain discrete energy values, rather than a continuous range of energies. The electron's behavior is also affected by the shape and size of the rectangle, as well as the material properties of the walls.

3. What are some real-life applications of the electron confined to a rectangle with walls model?

The model of an electron confined to a rectangle with walls is commonly used in the field of nanotechnology, where electrons are confined to small two-dimensional regions in order to control and manipulate their properties. It is also used in the study of semiconductors and the development of electronic devices such as transistors and diodes.

4. How is the electron confined to a rectangle with walls different from an electron in free space?

In free space, an electron can move freely and its energy levels are continuous. In contrast, the electron confined to a rectangle with walls is restricted to a two-dimensional region and its energy levels are quantized. Additionally, the behavior of the confined electron is influenced by the boundaries of the rectangle, whereas an electron in free space is not constrained by any boundaries.

5. What other shapes can electrons be confined to besides a rectangle with walls?

Electrons can also be confined to other two-dimensional shapes such as circles, triangles, and ellipses. They can also be confined to three-dimensional shapes such as spheres, cylinders, and cubes. The confinement of electrons to different shapes can lead to different energy level structures and behaviors, making it a crucial aspect of quantum mechanics and nanotechnology research.