Electron drift speed in a copper wire.

In summary, the problem involves a small current of 4.20E-10 A in a copper wire with a diameter of 0.02 cm. Using the equation J = (I/A) = n x q x v, the electron drift speed can be calculated using the known values for I, n, and q. The cross-sectional area of the wire, denoted by A, can be found by using the given diameter. Additionally, the correct value for the density of copper, 8960 kg/m^3, should be used in the calculation. After finding the correct values for all variables, the electron drift speed can be calculated.
Alpha Russ Omega
I'm really stuck on this one problem:

"A small but measurable current of 4.20E-10 A exists in a copper wire whose diameter is 0.02 cm. Calculate the electron drift speed (in meters/second)."
Source: Serway and Jewett

I know that:
I = 4.20E-10 A
n = 8960 kg/m^3
q = 1.6E-19 C
d = 2E-4 m

J = (I/A) = n x q x v
Thus, v = I/(n x q x A)

What does A stand for and how would I go about finding it? Also, am I converting things correctly and using the proper value for the density?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
A is the cross-sectional area of the wire.

Thank you for the hint. I found the answer now. Apparently I was getting the n density the wrong way as well.

Proper way to find n: :smile:
edens.gif

For the copper wire in the problem:
edensc.gif

1. What is electron drift speed?

Electron drift speed refers to the average speed at which free electrons move through a material, such as a copper wire, in response to an applied electric field.

2. How is electron drift speed measured?

Electron drift speed can be measured by calculating the ratio of the current flowing through a material to the cross-sectional area of the material and the number of free electrons in the material. This is known as the drift velocity formula.

3. What factors affect electron drift speed in a copper wire?

The electron drift speed in a copper wire can be affected by factors such as the strength of the electric field, the temperature of the wire, and the density of free electrons in the wire. Changes in these factors can impact the speed at which electrons move through the wire.

4. How does the electron drift speed in a copper wire compare to the speed of light?

The electron drift speed in a copper wire is much slower than the speed of light. While the speed of light is approximately 3 x 10^8 meters per second, the average electron drift speed in a copper wire is on the order of millimeters per second.

5. Why is it important to understand electron drift speed in a copper wire?

Understanding electron drift speed in a copper wire is important for various applications, such as in electrical circuits and telecommunications. It can also help in designing more efficient and effective electrical systems.