Electron flow through basic circuit element

In summary, both situations A and B have current entering terminal 2 and electrons leaving terminal 2. The current direction shown is with respect to the positive terminal of the voltage source and not through node 1. Therefore, both situations have the same scenario with the exception of voltage polarity.
Weird Fishes

Homework Statement

Given that the current flow is due to electron flow, state whether electrons are entering or leaving terminal 2.
Code:
   i   _____
  -->  |   |
- -----|1  |
v      |   |
+ -----|2  |
       |___|

Situation A: V=40V, i=-10A
Situation B: V=-60V, i=-10A

Homework Equations

none.

The Attempt at a Solution

My thinking was this:
Code:
  -10  _____
  -->  |   |
- -----|1  |
40     |   |
+ -----|2  |
       |___|
would be the equivalent of:
Code:
  10   _____
  <--  |   |
- -----|1  |
40     |   |
+ -----|2  |
       |___|

meaning that current would be entering 2, and since we have defined current to be positive in the direction opposite the actual flow of electrons that electrons would be leaving 2. The solution doesn't elaborate, but it says that electrons are entering 2.

B:
Code:
  -10  _____
  -->  |   |
- -----|1  |
-60    |   |
+ -----|2  |
       |___|
would be the equivalent of:
Code:
  10   _____
  <--  |   |
+ -----|1  |
60     |   |
- -----|2  |
       |___|

meaning the same scenario as A, with the exception of voltage polarity. I was under the assumption that the flow of current defined the flow of electrons.
(using conventional flow notation and the passive sign convention)

All in all, I'm just looking for a correction of my logic. I doubt the solutions given are wrong, but I suppose it is possible.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solutions are correct.

I feel that the current direction shown is with respect to the voltage source positive terminal and not through node 1. In this way, the solution given in the book may be correct. Any ways, your way of thinking and your solutions are also correct.

1. How does an electron flow through a basic circuit element?

Electrons flow through a basic circuit element due to the difference in potential energy between the two ends of the element. This difference, known as voltage, creates an electric field that causes the electrons to move from the higher potential end to the lower potential end.

2. What is the role of a resistor in electron flow through a basic circuit element?

A resistor limits the flow of electrons through a circuit by creating resistance. This resistance is measured in ohms and determines the amount of current that can flow through the circuit. Higher resistance means fewer electrons can flow through the element.

3. How does a capacitor affect electron flow through a basic circuit element?

A capacitor stores electrical charge and can temporarily block the flow of electrons through a circuit. When a capacitor is fully charged, it will stop the flow of electrons. However, when the voltage drops, the capacitor will allow the flow of electrons again.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits in terms of electron flow?

In a series circuit, the electrons have only one path to flow through all the elements, while in a parallel circuit, the electrons have multiple paths to flow through different elements. This means that in a series circuit, the current remains the same throughout, while in a parallel circuit, the current can split and vary between the different paths.

5. How does the direction of electron flow relate to conventional current flow?

The direction of electron flow is opposite to the direction of conventional current flow. This is because in the early days of electricity, scientists thought that positive charges were the ones moving, when in reality, it is the negatively charged electrons that are moving. However, for practical purposes, the direction of conventional current is still used in circuit analysis and design.