Electron movement between atoms

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of quantum jumping, where an electron can instantly move from one energy level to another without passing through the intermediate levels. This is explained by the laws of Quantum Physics, which state that particles can only take certain discrete values of energy. The author also mentions the significance of this occurrence on the atomic level and there is a brief discussion about the process of quantum jumping.
XEPER
I am a completely ignorant to Physics in general so bear with me. I was reading something recently and the author stated "an electron can jump instantaneously from one atom orbital to another without moving across the space between them"
Is this true? Is it taken completely out of context or what?

I would think this is a very significant occurance even though it's on the atomic level.

Any thoughts? :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Jumping... (or discrete Energy levels)

This phenomenon is explained by the laws of Quantum Physics which state that any particle can only take discrete values of energies. i.e It can only take certain values of energies.For example if an electron can take the energy values 10 ev, 40 ev and 160 ev, then when you supply the electron with 40 ev when it is in the 10ev energy level then it jumps to the 40ev orbital skipping all the other intermediate orbitals because it is restricted by the laws of Quantum Mechanics to only take certain integral values of energy...

Understand?

XEPER said:
I am a completely ignorant to Physics in general so bear with me. I was reading something recently and the author stated "an electron can jump instantaneously from one atom orbital to another without moving across the space between them"
Is this true? Is it taken completely out of context or what?

I would think this is a very significant occurance even though it's on the atomic level.

Any thoughts? :wink:
I think he means another atom(like a chemical reaction), in that case, I would imagine that the electron(having wave-like properties) was just attracted to the other atom while it was 'Quantum Jumping'.

Electrons always cover the whole distance between two points.They change their energy in lumps but you can't break the lumps down into bits and get intermediate energy changes for them.

1. How do electrons move between atoms?

Electrons move between atoms by jumping from one atom to another. This process is known as electron transfer or electron movement.

2. What causes electrons to move between atoms?

The movement of electrons between atoms is caused by differences in electric charge. Atoms with a higher number of protons in their nucleus have a stronger positive charge and can attract electrons from other atoms.

3. Can electrons move between atoms in a solid?

Yes, electrons can move between atoms in a solid. In fact, this movement is what allows electricity to flow through conductive materials like metal.

4. How does electron movement affect chemical bonding?

Electron movement plays a crucial role in chemical bonding. When atoms share or transfer electrons, they form chemical bonds that hold the atoms together in a molecule or compound.

5. What determines the direction of electron movement between atoms?

The direction of electron movement between atoms is determined by the electronegativity of the atoms involved. Electrons tend to move towards atoms with a higher electronegativity, which is a measure of an atom's ability to attract electrons.