Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron Orbits

1. Apr 10, 2005 #1
    Do Electron orbits follow the curved space, created by the Nucleus, or is there an other explanitory reason?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2005 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There's another explanation that is less esoteric and already verified - Coulombic potential. Refer to the solution to the Schrodinger equation for the H atom, for example. All the "orbits" are there if you realize that there are no such thing as a classical orbits the way I am guessing that you are understanding it.

Zz.

4. Apr 10, 2005 #3
    So Is the Coulombe Potential a 'far-off' effect of Quarks inverse structure?

Forgive my simpleton questions, but the potential of a Volume that has Area, give the location of 3-D matter..but surely the internal structure of a Volume and Area, must reduce to a 2-D Area only?..in this sense the Electron orbit is the 'curvature' signal of a compact location of 2-D 'fixed' flat space/area?

External observation is explained by the Shrodinger wavefunction, for Hydrogen Atom, but remove the Electron and one also removes the 'Potential', protons in their bare nakedness, carry charge, instead of Electrons?

Forgive me again, but this implies that charge is the 'source' potential of Electrons + or -..and thus Quark charge could be catagorized as being three types of Electrons?..much the same as oscillatory neutrino's?

I know the original thinking behind the Electron source, was it was a Quark, that has trancended from a 2-D area, into a 3-D 'minimum' volume?

5. Apr 10, 2005 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Er.... huh?

This is verging on someting that should go into the Theory Development wasteland.

Have you ever looked at how the solutions to the H atom was derived? Did you not see what the "V" was in there?

Zz.

6. Apr 10, 2005 #5
    Yep, and forgive me for making you dumb down to my level, but the question was quite simple, obviously TOO simple to explain with your hirger intillect:

http://www.physik.fu-berlin.de/~kleinert/kleiner_re267/node2.html

7. Apr 10, 2005 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What does that have anything to do with this?

You asked if "curved space" have anything to do with electron "orbitals". I'm asking on why such things would be necessary since for H and He atoms, the exact solutions ARE already available using straightforward QM that we teach people in into QM! You were making it sounds as if "coulomb potential", which is nothing more than the usual electrostatic potential, is some esoteric "far-off' effect of Quarks inverse structure". What the.... ? And quarks is made up of 3 types of electrons?

Oy vey...

I recommend that this thread be shoved into TD section.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?