How do I calculate the total energy from an electron-positron collision at .9c?

In summary, the total energy produced by an electron-positron collision is equal to double the relativistic kinetic energy of one particle moving at .9c plus the rest energies of both particles. It is customary to calculate in either the center of mass or lab frame, which are the same in this problem.
cragar

Homework Statement

Find the total energy produced by an electron positron collision each moving at
.9c , it is a head on collision.

The Attempt at a Solution

Can i just find the relativistic Kinetic energy of one moving at .9c
and then double it and add it to their rest energies and this would be the total energy .
Or do i need to do Lorentz transformations to see what velocity the one particle perceives the other .

Physics news on Phys.org
cragar said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Can i just find the relativistic Kinetic energy of one moving at .9c
and then double it and add it to their rest energies and this would be the total energy.
Yes. It's usually customary to calculate in either the CM or the lab frame, and in this problem they are one and the same.

ok thanks for the help

FAQ: How do I calculate the total energy from an electron-positron collision at .9c?

1. What is an electron positron collision?

An electron positron collision is a type of high-energy particle collision that involves the collision of an electron and a positron (the antiparticle of an electron). This collision produces a significant amount of energy and can result in the creation of new particles.

2. What are the main applications of electron positron collisions?

Electron positron collisions are primarily used in particle accelerators to study the fundamental properties of particles and their interactions. They are also used in medical imaging techniques, such as positron emission tomography (PET) scans, to detect and diagnose diseases.

3. How are electron positron collisions created in a laboratory?

Electron positron collisions are created by accelerating electrons and positrons to high energies using particle accelerators. These particles are then directed towards each other and collide at a specific location within the accelerator.

4. What happens during an electron positron collision?

During an electron positron collision, the two particles annihilate each other and release a large amount of energy in the form of gamma rays. This energy can then be converted into other particles, such as quarks or bosons, depending on the specific conditions of the collision.

5. What can we learn from studying electron positron collisions?

Studying electron positron collisions allows scientists to better understand the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern their interactions. It also provides insights into the early universe and can help us develop new technologies, such as particle accelerators and medical imaging techniques.