Which Electron Transitions in Singly-Ionized Helium Emit Blue Light?

In summary, the question is asking which electron transitions in singly-ionized Helium (He+) produce photons in the blue portion of the electromagnetic spectrum (450-500 nm). Using the equation 1/wavelength=Z^2*R(1/nf-1/nI), where Z=1 for Helium and R=1.097*10^7 m^-1, the only transition found is when nf=3 and nI=7, resulting in a wavelength of 478 nm. This transition represents the movement of an electron from the third energy level to the seventh energy level in the atom.
Jason Gomez
Which electron transitions in singly-ionized Helium (He+) yield photons in the blue (450-500 nm) portion of the electromagnetic spectrum? What are their wavelengths, and what transitions do they represent?

Homework Equations

hear is the equation I tried to use an equation creator but did not work, sorry;

1/wave length=Z^2*R(1/nf-1/nI)
where Z is the charge, for Helium=2
and R=1.097*10^7 m^(-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

ok, I found the wave length to be 455 nm when nf=5 and nf=4, that is the only one I could find, and I do not understand how to answer the first part. Is the found nf and nI the electron transitions, and what does it mean by what transitions does it represent? Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just realize that I made the charge on Helium 2, but it should be 1, I think, and then the only nf and nI I can find is 3 and 7 respectively giving wave length of 478nm. I believe I am over thinking the first part and believe the found nf and ni is the transition but I am confused on the last part still.

Related to Which Electron Transitions in Singly-Ionized Helium Emit Blue Light?

1. What is an electron transition state?

An electron transition state refers to the intermediate state of an atom or molecule during a chemical reaction, wherein the electrons are in the process of moving between different energy levels.

2. How is an electron transition state represented?

Electron transition states are typically represented using electron configuration diagrams, which show the arrangement of electrons in different energy levels and orbitals.

3. What factors influence the stability of an electron transition state?

The stability of an electron transition state is influenced by factors such as the energy difference between the initial and final states, the number of electrons involved, and the presence of any stabilizing or destabilizing forces.

4. How does the concept of electron transition states relate to chemical reactions?

Electron transition states play a crucial role in chemical reactions, as they represent the points at which bonds are being broken and formed. Understanding these states can help predict the outcome of a reaction and design more efficient reactions.

5. Can electron transition states be observed experimentally?

Although electron transition states cannot be directly observed due to their short-lived nature, their existence and properties can be inferred through various spectroscopic techniques and theoretical calculations.