1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron travelling in Magnetic and Electric Field.

1. Mar 14, 2006 #1
    I am having trouble figuring out the answer to one MCQ question.

An electron with velocity = 2.0 x 10^6 i m/s enters a region with electric field E = 200 j V/m. Because there is also a magnetic field present, the electron follows a straight line path at a constant velocty. The magnetic field could be:

a) B = (-1 x 10^4 k) T
    b) B = (4 x 10^8 k) T
    c) B = (1 x 10^-4 j) T
    d) B = (1 x 10^4 k) T

I am really really confused with this question. Wont the electric field cause the electron to change speeds and direction? Also, the magnetic field can only alter the direction of the electron correct? So, how can the electron follow a straight line path at all?? AHHH I think something is horribly wrong with my logic and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2006 #2

eep

What if the magnetic field was set up so that the force felt due to the magnetic field counteracts the force of the electric field?

4. Mar 14, 2006 #3
    Would the magnetic feild not have to be in the -j direction then?

5. Mar 14, 2006 #4
    The force from the magnetic field is at right angles to the velocity of the electron:
    [tex]F=qv\, x\, B[/tex]

-Dan

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?