Electronic control of ac power

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi Experts,

I would like to make an electronic circuit to control AC power to switch on and off a light bulb based on sensor.

Being new to this , i hope know what aspects i need to pay attention to when using DC to control AC?

sincerely
Ramone

Answers and Replies

You can use a relay.

Hi waht, thats a great idea. i thought about it before but have always been nervous about AC due to the 3 phase concept which i have not understood well. I thought i ask to see if there are other things i should consider when dealing with AC. I suppose power transistor is not suitable due to the high current in the 'live' wire? Thank you.

I am gonna get myself a high power relay. cheers!

Last edited:
stewartcs
Science Advisor
Hi waht, thats a great idea. i thought about it before but have always been nervous about AC due to the 3 phase concept which i have not understood well. I thought i ask to see if there are other things i should consider when dealing with AC. I suppose power transistor is not suitable due to the high current in the 'live' wire? Thank you.

I am gonna get myself a high power relay. cheers!
You have 3-phase light bulbs? :wink:

Not all AC power is 3 phase. Typical residential power in the US is split-phase (i.e. a center tapped transformer). So the common household voltage of 120 VAC is single phase line to neutral.

CS