Electronic device turned on in presence of tesla coil

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
AdamK9
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I had a small, about 1 foot secondary tall tesla coil with about 3 inch leaders coming off the toroid, and when i turned it on, I had an LED bike blinker light that would turn on when I would turn on the tesla coil. The blinker was about a foot away from the coil. I was wondering if anyone knows why it might have turned on.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Van der Graaf generators produce similar effects.

It is due to the very high electric field being generated and any nearby conductor that is not adequately shielded can have a large voltage induced in it.

Such devices can destroy electronics and need to be kept well away from video recorders, TV sets, computers etc.