Electronic device turned on in presence of tesla coil

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of a small tesla coil and an LED bike blinker light. The blinker light turns on when the tesla coil is turned on due to the high electric field being generated. It is important to keep such devices away from electronics as they can cause damage. It is also mentioned that Van der Graaf generators produce similar effects.
AdamK9
I had a small, about 1 foot secondary tall tesla coil with about 3 inch leaders coming off the toroid, and when i turned it on, I had an LED bike blinker light that would turn on when I would turn on the tesla coil. The blinker was about a foot away from the coil. I was wondering if anyone knows why it might have turned on.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Van der Graaf generators produce similar effects.

It is due to the very high electric field being generated and any nearby conductor that is not adequately shielded can have a large voltage induced in it.

Such devices can destroy electronics and need to be kept well away from video recorders, TV sets, computers etc.

I can provide a few possible explanations for why the LED bike blinker light turned on in the presence of the tesla coil.

Firstly, it is possible that the tesla coil generated a strong electromagnetic field that induced a current in the wires of the bike blinker, causing it to turn on. This is known as electromagnetic induction and is a well-known phenomenon in physics.

Another possibility is that the tesla coil produced a high frequency signal that matched the resonant frequency of the LED bike blinker, causing it to vibrate and turn on. This is known as resonance and can occur when two objects have similar natural frequencies.

It is also possible that the tesla coil created a static charge that was transferred to the bike blinker, causing it to turn on. This could happen if the bike blinker was made of a material that easily conducts electricity.

Without further experimentation and analysis, it is difficult to determine the exact reason for the LED bike blinker turning on in the presence of the tesla coil. However, these are some possible explanations based on known scientific principles.

1. What happens when an electronic device is turned on in the presence of a Tesla coil?

The Tesla coil produces a high voltage, high frequency electromagnetic field, which can interfere with the normal functioning of electronic devices. This can cause the device to malfunction or even be permanently damaged.

2. How close does an electronic device need to be to a Tesla coil to be affected?

The strength of the electromagnetic field produced by a Tesla coil decreases with distance, so the closer the device is to the coil, the more likely it is to be affected. However, even at a distance, the field can still cause interference with some devices.

3. Can any electronic device be safely turned on in the presence of a Tesla coil?

No, it is not safe to turn on any electronic device in the presence of a Tesla coil. The high voltage, high frequency electromagnetic field can damage a wide range of electronic devices, including computers, phones, and other household appliances.

4. How can I protect my electronic devices from the effects of a Tesla coil?

The best way to protect your electronic devices from the effects of a Tesla coil is to keep them at a safe distance and avoid turning them on while the coil is in operation. You can also use shielding materials, such as metal or foil, to block the electromagnetic field.

5. Can a Tesla coil be used to intentionally damage electronic devices?

Yes, a Tesla coil can be used to intentionally damage electronic devices if they are brought close enough to the coil. This is often done as a demonstration or experiment, but it is not recommended as it can be dangerous and costly to replace damaged devices.