Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electronic Firework Ignition System

1. Jun 28, 2006 #1
    I want to use a 50-pin cable to ignite e-matches connected to fireworks. The e-matches require about 1 Amp to ignite. The individual conducting wires in the cable are obviously very thin, and thus can't conduct a continuous 1 Amp current. My question though is this: can the very thin conducting wires safely carry 1 Amp of current if just for a fraction of a second? And how does one go about figuring out how much current is safe for short pulses through similar wires?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

What you are talking about is similar to how fuse currents are calculated. The amount of current that it takes to blow a fuse depends on the amount of time that the current flows through the fuse. Take a look at a typical fuse datasheet:

The "Time Current Curve" graph is what you are asking about. I googled time current curve +wire, and got some good-looking hits. I don't have time right now to find the best hit in the list for you, but maybe look around this list to see if it helps:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?