1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electronic theremal conductivity

1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    I'm trying to get some sort of value for the electronic contribution to the thermal conductivity of copper.

Most sources seem to give the total thermal conductivity [tex]K=400 \mathrm{W/(m\cdot K)}[/tex] at room temperature.

The electronic contribution should be given by the Wiedemann–Franz law
    [tex]K_e=\frac{L T}{\rho}[/tex]
    where [tex]L=(\pi^2/3)(k_B^2)\approx 2.443\times10^{-8}\mathrm{W\Omega/K^2}[/tex] ([tex]k_B[/tex] in eV).

The resistivity of copper at room temperature is [tex]\rho=16.78 \times 10^{-9} \mathrm{\Omega m}[/tex].
    Using this resistivity and the temperature [tex]T=300K[/tex] gives [tex]K_e=437\mathrm{W/(m\cdot K)}[/tex] which is larger then the total value.

I guess this shows that a) Either I have made some stupid mistake, or b) Wiedemann–Franz is not very accurate at this temperature.

Is there some other way to get a idea of how large the electronic conductivity is? I'm interested in temperatures ranging from 300K up to about 1400 K.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Weidemann-Franz is an approximate relationship, and 10% error is typical; also, there's some inevitable error in the reported thermal and electronic conductivity values (I'll bet the thermal conductivity isn't exactly 400 W m-1 K-1 :smile:). I'd buy that copper's thermal conductivity is of almost entirely electronic origin.

See http://books.google.com/books?id=nU...ge&q=conductivity copper temperature&f=false" for a lead on copper's electrical conductivity vs. temperature.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Oct 2, 2009 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Mapes is right - this isn't exact, and I would expect that your "copper" isn't pure elemental copper either.

I'm not sure why Bob S is bringing up beryllia when the question is about copper, but the reason it has good thermal conductivity and poor electrical conductivity is because the electrons aren't transporting the heat: phonons are.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook