Electronics: Can I Improve Math Skills?

In summary: You should beef up your math before you get into elcetronics study as many concepts depend on a certain level of math. Digital electronics may be somewhat easier on the math stressing boolean algebra concepts. However, more diverse analog electronics may require Calculus and beyond.
Boubacar
Hello, I am very confuse and I need advice. Here it is, I always loved computers and bricollage. During my free time I always look for stuff to bricoller or I stay at my computer all the time ... I'm in first grade in computer graphics and now I realize that what I really want to do is in the field of electronics. The problem is that I'm not good at math and I wonder if I could improve it when I would do a background in electronic.
Hoping you can help me, THANKS

Physics news on Phys.org
You should beef up your math before you get into elcetronics study as many concepts depend on a certain level of math. Digital electronics may be somewhat easier on the math stressing boolean algebra concepts. However, more diverse analog electronics may require Calculus and beyond.

Here's a wikipedia article on the math needed to study electronics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_methods_in_electronics

Likes Boubacar
Bricollage? Bricolage? The word is not common, but some web-search listings are found. No clear meaning. At best, tinkering or Do-It-Yourself.

The community colleges had Electronics courses but many years ago. Now, if you want to learn Electronics, you need to go through an undergraduate Engineering program. You need Mathematics. You must learn logic, boolean algebra, Trigonometry, and Calculus. Also Algebra at least to the intermediate level.

Likes Boubacar
symbolipoint said:
Bricolage?

French for "do-it-yourself", with a connotation of unprofessionalism about it.

Your options for studying electronics and the prerequisite mathematics surely depend on which country you're in (or plan to study in).

Likes Boubacar
symbolipoint said:
Bricollage? Bricolage? The word is not common, but some web-search listings are found. No clear meaning. At best, tinkering or Do-It-Yourself.

The community colleges had Electronics courses but many years ago. Now, if you want to learn Electronics, you need to go through an undergraduate Engineering program. You need Mathematics. You must learn logic, boolean algebra, Trigonometry, and Calculus. Also Algebra at least to the intermediate level.

The community colleges typically offer circuit classes.

MidgetDwarf said:
The community colleges typically offer circuit classes.
The ones in my region do not.

jtbell said:
Your options for studying electronics and the prerequisite mathematics surely depend on which country you're in (or plan to study in).
I want to go to the US to do it...

jedishrfu said:
You should beef up your math before you get into elcetronics study as many concepts depend on a certain level of math. Digital electronics may be somewhat easier on the math stressing boolean algebra concepts. However, more diverse analog electronics may require Calculus and beyond.

Here's a wikipedia article on the math needed to study electronics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_methods_in_electronics
Thank you I'm going to have a private math professor to improve it

symbolipoint said:

Thank you ! I will... I'm searching for a private professor to improve my math...

Boubacar said:
I want to go to the US to do it...

Why?? The universities in the US are much more expensive than at other places, and not of significant better quality either.

Related to Electronics: Can I Improve Math Skills?

1. How can electronics improve math skills?

Electronics can improve math skills in a variety of ways. One way is through the use of educational apps and games that make learning math more interactive and engaging. Additionally, electronics can provide access to online resources and tutorials for extra practice and understanding. Calculators and other electronics can also help with complex calculations, allowing students to focus on the concepts rather than tedious calculations.

2. Can electronics be a distraction for students trying to improve their math skills?

While it is possible for electronics to be a distraction, it ultimately depends on how they are being used. If electronics are being used for educational purposes, they can actually enhance learning and improve math skills. However, if they are being used for non-educational purposes, they can be a distraction and hinder learning.

3. Is it necessary to have expensive electronics to improve math skills?

No, it is not necessary to have expensive electronics to improve math skills. While some educational apps and games may require payment, there are also many free resources and tutorials available online. Additionally, basic calculators and other affordable electronics can also be effective tools for improving math skills.

4. Can electronics replace traditional methods of learning math?

While electronics can be a valuable tool for learning math, they should not be seen as a replacement for traditional methods. It is important for students to still practice math skills using pen and paper and to have a strong foundation in basic concepts before relying solely on electronics.

5. Are there any downsides to using electronics to improve math skills?

One potential downside is overreliance on electronics. If students only use electronics to learn math, they may struggle with basic concepts and calculations without the aid of technology. Additionally, excessive screen time can also have negative effects on a student's health and well-being.