1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electronics Determining Op Amp Gain.

1. Jan 18, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the Op amp gain of the following circuit.
    e4fd4417ef5239fdd5df6ff139ca5cb1.png

V1 = 1v Vo = 4 V

2. Relevant equations
    A = Vo/ VI

3. The attempt at a solution

Using voltage division I determined the voltage for the node at the +ve terminal

VI = V1(1k/ ([1000 + 1]k)) = 1/1001 V
    Vo = 4v Given

Therefore A = Vo/VI = 4/(1/1001) = 4(1001)

However the answer is A = 4/(4/1001) = 1001

So somehow I'm off by a factor of 4. I am really unsure why VI is 4/1001.

Thank you so much for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

The circuit does not make sense to me. Are you sure you don't have a feedback resistor somewhere? Also, are you sure the "-" terminal is connected to ground? Perhaps someone else can figure it out, but to me, it looks like it is missing something.

4. Jan 18, 2017 #3
    I strongly felt the same way as well Charles. But this is a problem directly from my textbook and it has not been modified for the last 3 editions so I'm assuming it is correct. Thank you so much for the response though.

EDIT: It is definitely very strange compared to the Operational amplifier problems I am used too. I am seeking enlightenment

5. Jan 18, 2017 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The circuit is okay, it's just that the op-amp depicted is not an ideal op-amp. Perhaps it would be better to think of it in terms of some general amplification stage with a finite gain. The idea is to find that gain given the "measured" input and output voltages.

6. Jan 18, 2017 #5

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Taking the circuit as is, for a small positive input voltage, the output voltage would be pinned at +12 Volts or whatever bias you use for it. For a small negaive input voltage, the output would pin itself at -12 volts.

7. Jan 18, 2017 #6
    Charles thanks for taking to the time to help out as well. I think gneill has the right idea of how to approach this problem so if we are to approach the problem assuming it is not an ideal OP amp what would I have to change in my solution?

8. Jan 18, 2017 #7

gneill

From what is given it appears to me that your result of A = 4004 is correct. Is the question complete as shown or were there other "characteristics" of this amplifier, such as input impedance?

9. Jan 18, 2017 #8
    Yes you are absolutely right my A will be 4004 but the correct answer is indicated to be 1001 in all previous editions. the circuit provided is all information. The only additional information says Vo = 4 V and v1 = 1.0 V

10. Jan 18, 2017 #9

gneill

There is nothing provided in the given circuit to account for a factor of 4 other than the gain itself, so I'm thinking that there's an error in the book.

11. Jan 18, 2017 #10

Charles Link

Homework Helper

I had difficulty reading the line in your OP where you have ## V1=+1.0 ## Volts and ## V_{out}=+4.0 ## Volts. I am glad that @gneill was able to help get the correct solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted