Potential at Junction of Two NiCr Wires

• Thread starter hnicholls
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electronics
In summary: Thanks.In summary, when working with equations involving two resistors in series, the voltage across the entire resistor-combo is referred to as "E". V1 is the voltage across resistor R1, and V2 is the voltage across resistor R2.
hnicholls

Homework Statement

Hi,

One end of a metal wire (say, NiCr) of a given length and cross-sectional area is attached to an end of another NiCr wire of of a given length and cross-sectional area. If the free end of the longer wire (R1) is at a given electric potential, and the free end of the shorter wire (R2) is at a lower electric potential, what is the potential at the junction of the two wires?

Homework Equations

V1 = E*R1/(R1+R2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I take this to be a kind of voltage divider. The wires themselves serving as the relevant resistors (R1) and (R2). The impressed voltage (E) is the difference between the potential at the ends of the two wires. The problem I am having is that in a voltage divider the voltage is measured across the resistor (either R1 or R2), but in this problem is the junction part of R1 or R2 or neither?

I believe the answer is V2 = E*R2/(R1+R2), i.e. the voltage across the wire with the lower potential (plus the difference between the lower potential and ground), but I am not sure why.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Neither--and your approach is correct. Unless there is something funny about the junction between the wires that acts like a component, it can be treated as an ideal zero-resistance wire between the two NiCr "unwound wire resistors". It just happens to be zero-length as well as zero-resistance. :)

I'm still somewhat confused. If we put into the equation a value for the resistor reflecting zero-length and zero-resistance, the voltage would also be 0.

0 = E*(0)/R(total)

I guess my fundamental question is why the voltage for the junction is the same as the voltage across the wire with the lower potential, rather than the wire with the higher potential.

Thank you for the response.

The voltage across the junction alone should be considered zero. All the voltage drop occurs in the measured lengths of wire. Or enough of it that the behavior at the junction can be neglected. The point of the exercise is to calculate the resistance of the nichrome wire, and see how that does behave as a component in a circuit.

In an electronic circuit with resistors measured in hundreds of ohms and up with only 1% accuracy, typically, the contribution of 30-gauge copper wire at 0.1 ohm/foot can safely be ignored. In a toaster, however, most of the resistance and most of the voltage drop does occur across those glowing red wires.

Last edited:
Is the distinction across the junction, rather than at the junction? Your response doesn't clarify for me why the voltage for the junction is the same as the voltage across the wire with the lower potential, rather than the wire with the higher potential.

Thanks

Voltages are always taken between or across two points. Just talking about the voltage at a point is meaningless, unless it is understood that you mean the voltage between that point and some other reference point. Sometimes the reference point is specifically identified, and sometimes (as is the case here) it is not specified.

So...
We may talk about the voltage across a wire, meaning the voltage difference between the two ends of the wire. In saying that the voltage across the junction is zero, we are just saying the voltage at each end of the junction (i.e., the ends of the wires that are in contact with each other) is the same.

2. Homework Equations

V1 = E*R1/(R1+R2)
It is important to understand what V1 and E are in this equation.

E is the voltage across the entire 2-resistor combination. In other words, it is the difference between the voltages at the free ends.

Example:
If one end is at 10 volts (meaning it is 10 V higher than some unspecified reference point), and the other end is at 2V (i.e. 2V higher than the same, unspecified reference point), then

E = 10V - 2V = 8V​

Similarly, V1 is the voltage across resistor R1.

Thank you. This is helpful.

Viewing the problem as though it were a circuit with two resistors in series (and using your example):

"E is the voltage across the entire 2-resistor combination. In other words, it is the difference between the voltages at the free ends.

Example:
If one end is at 10 volts (meaning it is 10V higher than some unspecified reference point), and the other end is at 2V (i.e. 2V higher than the same, unspecified reference point), then

E = 10V - 2V = 8V"

We would find a voltage across R1 which was lower than 10V (but higher than 2V) and a still lower voltage across R2 (but still higher than 2V) and finally 2V at the other end. If we measure the voltage for the circuit at a point between R1 and R2, what would we measure and why? I know the answer is the same voltage as across R2, but I am having a hard time understanding analytically why this is so.

1. What is the potential at the junction of two NiCr wires?

The potential at the junction of two NiCr wires depends on several factors, such as the length and diameter of the wires, the temperature, and the type of junction (e.g. parallel or series). It can be calculated using the equations for electrical potential and resistance.

2. How does the potential at the junction change with temperature?

The potential at the junction of two NiCr wires will change with temperature due to the change in resistance of the wires. As the temperature increases, the resistance of the wires will also increase, resulting in a decrease in potential at the junction. This relationship can be described by the temperature coefficient of resistance.

3. Can the potential at the junction be affected by external factors?

Yes, the potential at the junction of two NiCr wires can be affected by external factors such as the presence of other nearby conductive materials, electromagnetic interference, or changes in the power supply. These factors can alter the flow of current and impact the potential at the junction.

4. Is the potential at the junction the same for parallel and series connections?

No, the potential at the junction of two NiCr wires will be different for parallel and series connections. In a parallel connection, the potential remains the same across each wire, while in a series connection, the potential is divided between the two wires based on their resistance values.

5. How can the potential at the junction be measured experimentally?

The potential at the junction of two NiCr wires can be measured using a voltmeter. The voltmeter should be connected in parallel to the junction, and the potential difference can be read directly from the voltmeter. It is important to note the resistance of the voltmeter should be much greater than the resistance of the wires to avoid altering the potential at the junction.