1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrons in uniform magnetic field.

1. Mar 12, 2013 #1
    Hello.

So I was wondering that when you shoot an electron through an uniform magnetic field, obviously Lorenz force starts to skew the path to that corkscrew shape that we all know. But then there is an acceleration towards the center of the circle, and if the the velocity of the electron changes, isn't there supposed to be bremsstrahlung radiation then? I don't think that it happens because then the electron should radiate and the radii should decay. Right?

But why? What is the difference between this and an electron that has it's velocity changed due to a proton?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2013 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Look up "synchrotron radiation." It's a factor in designing circular electron accelerators.

4. Mar 12, 2013 #3
    Yes I'm familiar with that, but isn't that only with the circular accelerators? So if I have a linear accelerator this would not be present.

5. Mar 12, 2013 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook