Magnetic Field from Protons vs Electrons

If an electron is moving in a circle in a magnetic field, it produces a magnetic field in accordance to the right hand rule. If a proton is moving in a circle in a magnetic field, would it produce a magnetic field in accordance to the left hand equivalent to the right hand rule.

Answers and Replies

If an electron is moving in a circle in a magnetic field, it produces a magnetic field in accordance to the right hand rule. If a proton is moving in a circle in a magnetic field, would it produce a magnetic field in accordance to the left hand equivalent to the right hand rule.
You are correct as magnetic fields are created by moving charges, and the example would satisfy the criteria. Although, I assume it would be tiny compared to the surrounding magnetic field. The right hand rule would work for a proton.

Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
The magnetic field for both is described by Biot-Savart's law. ## \vec{B}=\frac{\mu_o}{4 \pi} \frac{q \vec{v} \times\vec{r}}{|\vec{r}|^3} ##. With a negative charge on the electron, its magnetic field is opposite the direction given by ## \vec{v} \times \vec{r} ##.

Likes berkeman
The magnetic field for both is described by Biot-Savart's law. With a negative charge on the electron, its magnetic field is opposite the direction given by ## \vec{v} \times \vec{r} ##.
So the positive charge of a proton would mean the magnetic field is just ##\vec{v} \times \vec{r}##?

Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
So the positive charge of a proton would mean the magnetic field is just ##\vec{v} \times \vec{r}##?
See the part I added to post 3=the formula for ## \vec{B} ##.

See the part I added to post 3=the formula for ## \vec{B} ##.
Ok. Thank you.

Likes berkeman and Charles Link