Electrons Spinning: Energy Release, Kinetic Transfer & Radiation

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of electrons in different materials and how their movements produce energy and radiation. It also touches on the concept of orbitals and the spin of electrons. However, there is no simple explanation for these phenomena, as they are part of the complex field of quantum mechanics.
Biologik
As the electrons in my...shirt spin, they are doing these things
1.Releasing energy in the form of Photons as they come in contact with other particles
2.As I move on my chair, the energy made from the kinetic energy transfers energy from the chair to my pants and vice-versa, thus
3.The Electrons in my pants and chair gain energy and(this is where I get stuck, what exactly is happening to the Electrons at this point?)
4.The electrons release the extra energy in the form of radiation (what determines the wavelengths of the radiation it emits? e.g What determines of my pants electrons release energy in the form of Gamma rays or Microwaves)
5.Nerve receptors in my skin pick up this energy and a signal is sent to my brain to feel heat.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Biologik,

If I interpret your question correctly, you are asking how friction generates heat you can feel. Is that right?

If so, then I'm afraid there are a few problems with your explanation! So, all the electrons in your clothes and your chair will be bound to atoms. Quantum mechanics tells us that these electrons can only have certain energies when bound in such a way. If given enough energy, the electrons can jump up one or more levels, and then release the energy again as one or more photons as they return to the ground state (lowest energy level). These transitions give rise to absorption/emission spectra - it is, for example, why sodium lamps look yellow.

Now in this case, it is highly unlikely that the electrons will be excited up an energy level by friction. Instead, the atoms as a whole are gaining kinetic energy as the materials rub against each other. They move around, but keep bumping into each other so that whilst they have a reasonable amount of energy overall, they aren't going anywhere. This random motion is the definition of heat, which is conducted into your skin (the jiggling motion propagates through the fabric), and is detected by your nerves.

As the electrons spin inside Biologik he's:
1) Posting a thread asking questions
2) Ignoring the answers
3) Posting another thread containing the same misconceptions.

Why bother answering?

Need this simplified.

These people obviously think I'm in college. Maybe they even think I'm in high school. Well I'm not in either, you do the thinking. Someone simplify this for me.

The electron's spin can point in different directions but never changes in total amount. It always must have exactly 1/2 unit.

Electron orbitals contain "motion" that is, to continue the analogy, like the Earth's movement around the sun. Available orbitals have differing amounts of angular momentum, but also many orbitals in one "shell" have the same total angular momentum but arrange it differently.

Basically I am asking for someone to explain to me how electrons spin and what the orbitals actually are.

An orbital is a region in space (near an atom), where the electron can be when it has a specific energy.

Besides that, you can view each electron as a small permanent magnet, it has some kind of a north pole and a south pole. This magnetic property is called "spin", because if a charged ball was spinning, it would also behave as a magnet. The electron however, isn't really spinning on itself.

Biologik, perhaps someone will recommend a good book at that level, or post a link to a web page. Without specific suggestions, you need to just read books and keep at it until it makes some sense. Many "popular" books go over the basic principles of QM.

Off the top of my head, you might try the "Mr. Tompkins" adventures, either the original or modernized version. I also suggest "QED" by Feynman, though it is not specific for spin.

Biologik said:
These people obviously think I'm in college. Maybe they even think I'm in high school. Well I'm not in either, you do the thinking. Someone simplify this for me.

The electron's spin can point in different directions but never changes in total amount. It always must have exactly 1/2 unit.

Electron orbitals contain "motion" that is, to continue the analogy, like the Earth's movement around the sun. Available orbitals have differing amounts of angular momentum, but also many orbitals in one "shell" have the same total angular momentum but arrange it differently.

Basically I am asking for someone to explain to me how electrons spin and what the orbitals actually are.

Biologik, there really is no simple common sense answer. Its a mystery. Thats why quantum mechanics is so weird

Related to Electrons Spinning: Energy Release, Kinetic Transfer & Radiation

What is electron spinning?

Electron spinning refers to the rotational motion of electrons around an atom's nucleus. This motion creates a magnetic field and is responsible for many of the properties of atoms, such as their reactivity and chemical bonding behavior.

How does electron spinning release energy?

When an electron changes its energy level within an atom, it emits or absorbs energy in the form of photons. This release of energy is what we observe as light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation.

Can the kinetic energy of spinning electrons be transferred?

Yes, the kinetic energy of spinning electrons can be transferred to other particles through collisions or interactions. This is the basis of electrical conductivity and the flow of electricity in materials.

What role does electron spinning play in radiation?

Electron spinning is a key factor in the production of radiation. When electrons are accelerated or decelerated, they emit electromagnetic radiation. This is the principle used in technologies such as X-rays and particle accelerators.

How does electron spinning influence an atom's chemical properties?

Electron spinning determines an atom's chemical properties by influencing its reactivity and ability to form chemical bonds. The number and arrangement of electrons in an atom's outer energy level, which is affected by electron spinning, determines its chemical properties.