1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic induction with planes - please help

1. Feb 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two large plane parallel conducting plates are connected by a wire and are a distance D apart in a vacuum. A point charge +q is placed in the space between them and a disstance b (<D) from one of them. What proportion of the charge +q is induced on each of the two plates?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've been told the way to do this is to replace the point charge with a plane conducting sheet inserted between the plates a distance b from one of them, with a charge +q on it, and find the charges induced on the plates. However I can't work out how to do this. I've tried using Gauss' Law to show that the flux out of this new plate in each perpendicular direction is q/e0 and so the resultant fiels in each perpendicular direction is q/Ae0 but to no avail. Please help!
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted