Can Electric Forces Repel and Attract Unlike Gravitational Forces?

In summary, the conversation discusses a series of questions related to Newton's law of universal gravitation and Coulomb's law. The question asks if gravitational force can only attract, while electric force can only repel. The conversation includes a comparison of equations for both laws and concludes that the answer is True.
Rade1990

Homework Statement

I have a series of about a dozen questions, my son is taking a course that was outlined by his school " as a great way to get ready for Grade 12" it is mostly multiple choice so if someone could help us choose the right answer with a little bit of an explanation. He has done all the questions himself i just need help marking them.

Question 1.
One of the ways in which Newton's law of universal gravitation differs from Coulomb's law is that gravitational force can only attract, whereas the electric force can only repel.
True Or False

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it is True because no where does it state in electrostatics that the electric force Can repel.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well look at Coulomb's law: F = k*q1q2/r^2. Note F ~ q1q2. Charges can be either positive (like protons) or negative (like electrons).
(Edited for clarity). If q1 and q2 are of the opposite sign then F is negative and attractive, whereas if q1 and q2 are of the same sign then F is positive and repulsive.

Now compare to the Gravitational force: F ~ m1m2. Since mass is only positive, F can only have one sign, and so it is always attractive.

Related to Can Electric Forces Repel and Attract Unlike Gravitational Forces?

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is a branch of science that deals with the study of electric charges at rest and how they interact with each other.

2. What is an electric charge?

An electric charge is a fundamental physical property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electric field.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative charges?

Positive charges are associated with protons, which have a positive charge, while negative charges are associated with electrons, which have a negative charge. Opposite charges attract each other, while like charges repel.

4. How is electrostatics different from electrodynamics?

Electrostatics deals with electric charges at rest, while electrodynamics includes the study of charges in motion and their interactions with magnetic fields.

5. What are some real-life applications of electrostatics?

Some common applications of electrostatics include air purification, electrostatic painting, and the operation of devices such as photocopiers and inkjet printers.