1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elementary Linear Algebra (matrix)

1. Sep 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the reduced row echolon form of

| cos(x) sin(x) |
    | -sin(x) cos(x) |

2. Relevant equations
    you can interchange any two rows or columns, multiply a row or column by a nonzero number, add a multiple of one row or column to another

3. The attempt at a solution
    |1 0|
    |0 1|

is the solution but i couldn't figure out how to apply trig functions to equal 1 on the matrix
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2007 #2
    Ok, first off: I don't know what a "row echolon form" is. But using your calculation rules it is possible to obtain the identity.
    What you first need to do (more specifically: What I had to do for my solution) is a case branching:

Case 1: sin(x) = 0:
    Ok, I don't have to comment on this one, do I?

Case 2: cos(x) =0:
    Your matrix is ((0,-1),(1,0)) (where I noted the two column-vectors in the inner parentheses). Using your modification rules you should easily get to the identity from there.

Case 3: Neither the sine nor the cosine term equal zero:
    It's a few more steps but not too many. Two hints:
    - cos(x) and sin(x) are non-zero numbers now, meaning you can (and actually must) multiply and divide by these terms.
    - cos²(x) + sin²(x) = 1.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?