Elementary questions relating to Newton's laws of motion

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a wall exerts an equal and opposite force on a cannonball when it breaks upon impact, the amount of force needed to break the wall, and the possibility of the wall causing the cannonball to rebound. The concept of impulse is also brought up in relation to the force exerted by the wall on the cannonball.
chipotleaway
i) If a wall breaks when it gets hit by a cannonball, did the wall exert an equal and opposite force on the cannonball?

ii) Would the force exerted by the cannonball on the wall only be the amount that was needed to break it?

iii) Hypothetically, is it possible for the wall to break but also cause the cannonball to rebound?

Physics news on Phys.org
chipotleaway said:
i) If a wall breaks when it gets hit by a cannonball, did the wall exert an equal and opposite force on the cannonball?

ii) Would the force exerted by the cannonball on the wall only be the amount that was needed to break it?

iii) Hypothetically, is it possible for the wall to break but also cause the cannonball to rebound?
Good questions. What do you think?

Doc Al said:
Good questions. What do you think?

i) I think it does and

ii) I also think that the reaction force from the wall would be equal to the force needed to break it. Like if you were to drop a bowling ball on a table, the table wouldn't feel the entire weight of the ball before it broke (assuming the strength is less than the weight of the ball)

iii) Hmm...the wall would have to have sufficient strength to exert a reaction force big enough to change the momentum of the cannonball...I'll try to work out the details later, heh.

To answer your question, I would think about impulse. The longer you exert a force, the greater the momentum. So to break the wall, the cannonball need to exert some amount of force for a period of time. Then, once the wall break and rocks flies in every directions, it's a work problem (force times displacement). Hence, the wall does exert the same force back but not enough impulse to stop the cannonball.

i) According to Newton's third law of motion, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Therefore, if the wall breaks when hit by a cannonball, the wall must have exerted an equal and opposite force on the cannonball. This is because the cannonball and the wall are interacting with each other, and the forces they exert on each other are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.

ii) No, the force exerted by the cannonball on the wall would not only be the amount needed to break it. The cannonball will exert a force on the wall that is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration, according to Newton's second law of motion. This force may be greater than the force needed to break the wall, resulting in the wall breaking and the cannonball continuing to move forward with its remaining force.

iii) Hypothetically, it is possible for the wall to break and also cause the cannonball to rebound. This would occur if the wall exerts a force on the cannonball that is greater than the force needed to break it, causing the cannonball to bounce off the wall with some remaining force. However, this would depend on the specific circumstances and forces involved, as well as the strength and composition of the wall.

1. What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's three laws of motion are the laws that describe the relationship between forces and the motion of an object. They are: 1) an object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force (Law of Inertia), 2) the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass (Law of Force and Acceleration), and 3) for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction (Law of Action and Reaction).

2. How do these laws apply to everyday situations?

Newton's laws of motion can be applied to everyday situations in many ways. For example, the first law explains why objects stay still when you push them lightly and why they require more force to move when they are heavier. The second law can be seen when you throw a ball and it accelerates in the direction of the force you applied. The third law can be seen when you push against a wall and feel it push back against you with an equal force.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight in relation to Newton's laws?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object. In relation to Newton's laws, mass is important because it determines how much force is needed to accelerate an object, while weight is not a factor in the laws as it can change depending on the strength of gravity.

4. Can Newton's laws be violated?

No, Newton's laws of motion cannot be violated. They are fundamental principles that have been observed and tested for centuries and have not been found to be incorrect. However, there are situations where they may not accurately describe the motion of objects, such as at the atomic or quantum level.

5. How do Newton's laws relate to the concept of momentum?

Momentum is closely related to Newton's laws, specifically the second law. Momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity, and according to the second law, the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. This means that an object with a larger mass will have a greater momentum, and an object with a greater acceleration will also have a greater momentum.