Understanding Even Numbers in Set S Divisible by 5

It is not possible for S to contain all multiples of 10. In summary, the conversation discusses a set S of natural numbers with the property that every even number in S is divisible by 5. The question asks which of the given statements about S must be true. The conversation concludes that a and d must be true, while b, c, and e may or may not be true. Additionally, it is not possible for S to contain all multiples of 10.
avec_holl

Homework Statement

Let S be a set of Natural numbers with the property that every even number in S is divisible by 5. Which of the following must be true.

a. 2 is not in S
b. 5 is not in S
c. S contains all multiples of 10
d. Every even number in S is divisible by 10
e. S contains no odd numbers

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Just want to make sure my logic isn't faltering anywhere so here's what I figured . . .

a. 2 is even, 2 is not divisible by 5, therefore 2 is not a member of S
b. 5 is a natural number, 5 is not even, therefore 5 may be a member of S
c. S does not necessarily contain all multiples of 10
d. Every even member in S must be divisible by 10
e. S may contain odd numbers

Based on this a and d must be true. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks correct to me! Good job. You might a little more specific on (c) though, as you can give examples of which multiples of 10 the set S cannot contain.

I think you've nailed it. Nice work.

n!kofeyn said:
It looks correct to me! Good job. You might a little more specific on (c) though, as you can give examples of which multiples of 10 the set S cannot contain.

S might not contain any multiples of 10. It might, in fact, be empty. What would be wrong with that?

Last edited:
Dick said:
S may not contain any multiples of 10. It might, in fact, be empty. What would be wrong with that?

Nothing is wrong with that. What I was getting at is that avec_holl should remove the word necessarily from the sentence "S does not necessarily contain all multiples of 10". This is because S does not contain all multiples of 10. For example, if n is a negative integer, then S cannot contain 10n. The way it was originally written says to me that it is possible for S to contain all multiples of 10, but we can't tell.

What are even numbers?

Even numbers are numbers that can be divided by 2 without leaving a remainder. They are represented by the formula 2n, where n is any whole number.

What is set S?

Set S refers to a collection of numbers that are being studied or analyzed. In this case, it refers to a set of numbers that are divisible by 5.

What does it mean for a number to be divisible by 5?

A number is divisible by 5 if it can be divided by 5 without leaving a remainder. It can also be represented by the formula 5n, where n is any whole number.

How can I tell if a number in set S is even?

If a number in set S is divisible by 5, it can also be checked if it is even by dividing it by 2. If there is no remainder, then the number is even.

Why is it important to understand even numbers in set S divisible by 5?

Understanding even numbers in set S that are divisible by 5 can help in various mathematical calculations and patterns. It can also aid in problem-solving and identifying relationships between numbers.