How Do You Normalize and Calculate Expectation Values in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the problem involves a particle in one dimension with a position-space wave function. The first equation is used to normalize the wave function, resulting in A = √λ. The expectation values of x and x^2 are then determined using the second equation, with x resulting in 0 and x^2 requiring two partial integrations. Mathematica can be used for these calculations, but it is also possible to solve them manually using an integral table or other methods.
richyw

Homework Statement

A particle moving in one dimensions is in the state [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] with position-space wave function [itex]\psi(x) = Ae^{−\lambda|x|}[/itex] where A, λ are positive real constants.

a)Normalize the wavefunction.

b)Determine the expectation values of x and [itex]x^2[/itex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\langle\psi | \psi\rangle=1\][/tex]
[tex]\langle \hat{A}\rangle = \langle \psi |\hat{A}|\psi \rangle[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the first equation to normalize the wave function by doing
[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}A^2e^{-2\lambda |x|}dx[/tex]. I had to do this by splitting the integral into two parts to get rid of the absolute value. I ended up with [itex]A=\sqrt{\lambda}[/itex]

Then I got [itex]\langle x \rangle[/itex] by doing

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\lambda x e^{-2\lambda |x|}dx[/tex]which I had to use an integration by parts (one question I have is if there is an "easy" way to do IBP without listing out all of the variable changes and stuff. it's very time consuming. Anyways the answer I got is 0.

For [itex]x^2[/itex]I am trying to just plug it into the formula. The problem is I cannot seem to integrate this properly. I can plug it into mathematica but I cannot seem to work out the integral!

Physics news on Phys.org
Surely A = Realthingy times e(i alpha), alpha is an arbitrary realthingy.

The method you used to compute the integral in <x> must work for <x^2> as well. You need to do partial integration not once, but twice.

Do you need to use Mathematica? Just use integral table or or solve it as mentioned above. In all my QM courses, we never used Maple, or Mathematica.

1. What are elementary wave functions?

Elementary wave functions are mathematical representations of the wave-like behavior of elementary particles, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons. They describe the probability of finding a particle at a certain location in space at a given time.

2. What is the Schrödinger equation and how does it relate to elementary wave functions?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a particle evolves over time. Elementary wave functions are solutions to this equation, and can be used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain state.

3. How are elementary wave functions different from classical wave functions?

Elementary wave functions are different from classical wave functions in that they describe the behavior of individual particles, rather than waves in a medium. They also obey different equations and have different properties, such as superposition and wave-particle duality, which are not seen in classical waves.

4. Can elementary wave functions be observed or measured?

No, elementary wave functions cannot be observed or measured directly. They are purely mathematical constructs that describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. However, their effects can be observed through experiments and measurements of particle properties, such as position and momentum.

5. How are elementary wave functions used in practical applications?

Elementary wave functions are used in a variety of practical applications, such as in quantum computing, materials science, and particle physics research. They provide a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level and can be used to make predictions about their behavior in different environments.