Eletromagnétic field representation

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between two representations of electromagnetic fields - a full field and a simple wave. The speaker shares their doubts about the reliability of the change in representation and expresses a need for a demonstration or recommended textbook to explain it to students. They also mention that in the far field, one component of the field can be determined from the other and does not need to be drawn.
PrimoCosta
Hello so my doubt is when i are teaching about eletromagnétic filds the frist time a do a representatios is of a full field i Draw the two waves, ume perpendicular to another, and istill i know that's not the best representatios because i should have to rolate the wave while a draw.

Later in the same Class i stop drawing the full eletromagnétic field and it's became a simple wave, but iknow that's when i do this some of the informations is lost and i never could explain to the studentes why i do this, i just do and i know i cam from the textsbooks. So here's my doubt who do i explain to them that's is reliable do this change in the way a represents the eletromagnétic field, i wold really apreciate if some on has a demostration to this ou a textbook to recomendate.

Sorry for my bad english I'm not native in english.

Physics news on Phys.org
PrimoCosta said:
Summary: diferences between two kinds of representation.

who do i explain to them that's is reliable do this change in the way a represents the eletromagnétic field
In the far field you have ##\vec S=\vec E \times \vec B## so if you show ##\vec E## and you know ##\vec S## then ##\vec B## is uniquely determined and doesn’t need to be drawn.

Likes PrimoCosta and vanhees71
Thank you it really helps i don't like entering in class with half explanation.

Likes vanhees71 and Dale

What is an electromagnetic field?

An electromagnetic field is a physical field produced by electrically charged objects. It consists of both electric and magnetic components, and it is responsible for the interactions between charged particles.

How is an electromagnetic field represented?

An electromagnetic field is typically represented using vector fields, which show the direction and strength of the electric and magnetic fields at each point in space.

What is the difference between an electric field and a magnetic field?

An electric field is produced by stationary electric charges, while a magnetic field is produced by moving electric charges. Electric fields exert a force on other charges, while magnetic fields exert a force on moving charges.

How is an electromagnetic field measured?

An electromagnetic field can be measured using specialized equipment such as a Gaussmeter or an EMF meter. These devices measure the strength and direction of the electric and magnetic fields at a specific location.

What are some practical applications of electromagnetic fields?

Electromagnetic fields have a wide range of applications, including electricity generation, communication technologies such as radio and television, medical imaging, and many more. They are also essential for the functioning of electronic devices such as computers and cell phones.