Power of Elevator Motor: 500kg Acceleration & Cruising Speed

In summary, the average power of the elevator motor is ? during this period. The power at the cruising speed is ?
Geminiforce

Homework Statement

A 500 kg elevator starts from rest. It moves upward for 3.50 s with constant acceleration until it reaches its cruising speed, 1.75 m/s.
(a) What is the average power of the elevator motor during this period?
(b) How does this power compare with the motor power when the elevator moves at its cruising speed?
Pcruising = ?

Homework Equations

F=ma
P=W/deltaT
W=Fdelta(r)cos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem, I first found the acceleration using Vf= Vi +at
a= 0.5m/s^2

Next I plugged this into delta x = Vot +1/2a(t^2) and found delta x to be 3.0625
Next, I solved for tension using: T-Mg = Ma
T= M(a+g) = 10,578.75 W
Is this correct? If it isn't, can someone explain to me how to approach this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Geminiforce said:

Homework Statement

A 500 kg elevator starts from rest. It moves upward for 3.50 s with constant acceleration until it reaches its cruising speed, 1.75 m/s.
(b) How does this power compare with the motor power when the elevator moves at its cruising speed?
Pcruising = ?

Homework Equations

F=ma
P=W/deltaT
W=Fdelta(r)cos(theta)

a= 0.5m/s^2

Next I plugged this into delta x = Vot +1/2a(t^2) and found delta x to be 3.0625
Your method looks good up until this point:
Geminiforce said:
T= M(a+g) = 10,578.75 W
Perhaps this is a typo but, tension is a force and not power.

Geminiforce said:

Homework Statement

Pcruising = ?

Homework Equations

F=ma
P=W/deltaT
W=Fdelta(r)cos(theta)

a= 0.5m/s^2

Why? The problem did not ask for distance moved.

T= M(a+g) = 10,578.75 W
No, the units are wrong. kg (m/s2 is Newtons, not Watts. This is a force not power. Do you know how to convert from force to power, i.e. from Newtons to Watts?

Is this correct? If it isn't, can someone explain to me how to approach this problem?

HallsofIvy said:
Why? The problem did not ask for distance moved.

No, the units are wrong. kg (m/s2 is Newtons, not Watts. This is a force not power. Do you know how to convert from force to power, i.e. from Newtons to Watts?

You're right i accidently put the force in the wrong units...
I meant to put Power=M(a+g)(v)... However the question asks for the average power and I think the power calculated there is the power at 3 second. Would this power i just calculated be the cruising speed?

What is the power of the elevator motor?

The power of the elevator motor is a measure of the amount of work it can do in a given amount of time. In this case, the power of the elevator motor is 500kg, which means it can lift up to 500kg of weight in a single trip.

What does the acceleration of the elevator motor mean?

The acceleration of the elevator motor refers to how quickly the elevator can increase its speed. In this case, the elevator motor has an acceleration of 500kg, which means it can increase its speed by 500kg in a given amount of time.

What is the cruising speed of the elevator motor?

The cruising speed of the elevator motor is the speed at which the elevator can maintain a constant velocity. In this case, the cruising speed is 500kg, meaning the elevator can travel at a steady speed of 500kg per trip.

What factors affect the power of the elevator motor?

The power of the elevator motor may be affected by a variety of factors, including the weight of the elevator, the speed at which it is traveling, and any external forces acting on the elevator, such as wind or friction.

Why is it important to consider the power of the elevator motor?

The power of the elevator motor is an important factor to consider because it determines the maximum weight and speed that the elevator can safely handle. It is important for ensuring the safety and efficiency of the elevator's operation.