Eliminating the Euler Angle singularity without quaternions?

In summary: It is possible to use Lagrange formalism on quaternions, however the equations of motion will still be in the form of: \ddot{\phi},\ddot{\psi},\ddot{\vartheta} = f(\phi,\psi,\vartheta,\dot{\phi},\dot{\psi},\dot{\\theta}), so conversion will still be required.
James_Frogan
Hi all,

I've formulated using Lagrangian formalism the equations of motion for a spinning top. I know about the gimbal lock/singularity that occurs at theta=0 and I was wondering if there was any other way to do it without dwelving into quaternions.

Yogi published a paper "A Motion of Top by Numerical Calculation" suggesting a replacement: [itex]\dot{\beta} = \dot{\varphi} cos \vartheta[/itex] and [itex]\dot{\alpha} = \dot{\varphi} sin \vartheta[/itex], but this hasn't worked for me (I find myself getting [itex]\ddot{\alpha} = 0[/itex], which isn't true)

I've had a look at quaternions but I'm not inclined to understand it or be able to simply 'convert' my equations over into quaternion calculus, neither (I believe) can I use Lagrangian mechanics on quaternions.

Physics news on Phys.org
One way to avoid the problem without using quaternions is to lock the possible values of theta to a given range that doesn't include the singularities. For example, theta cannot be smaller than 1E-6 degrees and larger than 179.99999 degrees. But the simplest way is using quaternions.

M.

Thanks Mbert, unfortunately the case I am looking at causes the top to rise to the steady position.. which unfortunately is the theta 0 position.

Looks like I'll have to dwelve into quaternions. Is it possible to 'convert' my equations in Euler angles into quaternions if I have the equations in Euler's (rigid body) equations? Or must everything be redefined again?

To convert from Euler angles to quaternions take a look at this website:

http://www.flipcode.com/documents/matrfaq.html#Q60"

Especially the part:

Q60. How do I convert Euler rotation angles to a quaternion?
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Converting Euler rotation angles to quaterions can be achieved through
the use of quaternion multiplication. Each rotation angle is converted
to an axis-angle pair, with the axis corresponding to one of the
Euclidean axii. The axis-angle pairs are converted to quaternions and
multiplied together. The final quaternion is the desired result.

The following code segment demonstrates this:
---------------------------------------------

quaternion_from_euler( QUATERNION *q, VFLOAT ax, VFLOAT ay, VFLOAT az )
{
VECTOR3 vx = { 1, 0, 0 }, vy = { 0, 1, 0 }, vz = { 0, 0, 1 };
QUATERNION qx, qy, qz, qt;

quaternion_from_axisangle( qx, &vx, rx );
quaternion_from_axisangle( qy, &vy, ry );
quaternion_from_axisangle( qz, &vz, rz );

quaternion_multiply( &qt, &qx, &qy );
quaternion_multiply( &q, &qt, &qz );
}
---------------------------------------------

M.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mbert, I came across several articles on how to convert the angles themselves to quaternion, however the equations of motion are in the forms of: [itex]\ddot{\phi},\ddot{\psi},\ddot{\vartheta} = f(\phi,\psi,\vartheta,\dot{\phi},\dot{\psi},\dot{\\theta})[/itex], so I cannot apply the conversions in that manner.

Does Lagrange formalism work on quaternions?

Related to Eliminating the Euler Angle singularity without quaternions?

1. What is the Euler Angle singularity?

The Euler Angle singularity is a mathematical problem that occurs when using Euler angles to represent rotations in 3D space. It refers to a point where the rotation representation becomes undefined, causing a loss of information and making it difficult to accurately calculate rotations.

2. How do quaternions help eliminate the Euler Angle singularity?

Quaternions are an alternative mathematical representation of rotations in 3D space. They do not suffer from the same singularity issues as Euler angles, making them more reliable for certain applications. In addition, they can be converted back to Euler angles if needed.

3. Can the Euler Angle singularity be avoided without using quaternions?

Yes, there are other methods for avoiding the Euler Angle singularity, such as using rotation matrices or axis-angle representations. However, each of these methods has its own limitations and may not be suitable for all applications.

4. What are the drawbacks of using quaternions for eliminating the Euler Angle singularity?

The main drawback of using quaternions is that they are more complex and less intuitive than Euler angles. They also require more computational resources for conversion and manipulation.

5. In what fields is the elimination of the Euler Angle singularity important?

The Euler Angle singularity is particularly relevant in fields such as robotics, computer graphics, and aerospace engineering, where accurate and efficient representations of 3D rotations are crucial for tasks such as navigation, animation, and control systems.