1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eliminating the Euler Angle singularity without quaternions?

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    Hi all,

I've formulated using Lagrangian formalism the equations of motion for a spinning top. I know about the gimbal lock/singularity that occurs at theta=0 and I was wondering if there was any other way to do it without dwelving into quaternions.

Yogi published a paper "A Motion of Top by Numerical Calculation" suggesting a replacement: [itex]\dot{\beta} = \dot{\varphi} cos \vartheta[/itex] and [itex]\dot{\alpha} = \dot{\varphi} sin \vartheta[/itex], but this hasn't worked for me (I find myself getting [itex]\ddot{\alpha} = 0[/itex], which isn't true)

I've had a look at quaternions but I'm not inclined to understand it or be able to simply 'convert' my equations over into quaternion calculus, neither (I believe) can I use Lagrangian mechanics on quaternions.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2011 #2
    One way to avoid the problem without using quaternions is to lock the possible values of theta to a given range that doesn't include the singularities. For example, theta cannot be smaller than 1E-6 degrees and larger than 179.99999 degrees. But the simplest way is using quaternions.

M.

4. Aug 23, 2011 #3
    Thanks Mbert, unfortunately the case I am looking at causes the top to rise to the steady position.. which unfortunately is the theta 0 position.

Looks like I'll have to dwelve into quaternions. Is it possible to 'convert' my equations in Euler angles into quaternions if I have the equations in Euler's (rigid body) equations? Or must everything be redefined again?

5. Aug 23, 2011 #4
    To convert from Euler angles to quaternions take a look at this website:

http://www.flipcode.com/documents/matrfaq.html#Q60"

Especially the part:

M.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  6. Aug 23, 2011 #5
    Thanks Mbert, I came across several articles on how to convert the angles themselves to quaternion, however the equations of motion are in the forms of: [itex]\ddot{\phi},\ddot{\psi},\ddot{\vartheta} = f(\phi,\psi,\vartheta,\dot{\phi},\dot{\psi},\dot{\\theta})[/itex], so I cannot apply the conversions in that manner.

Does Lagrange formalism work on quaternions?

7. Aug 23, 2011 #6
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook