Eliminating use for lubrication in an engine?

In summary, the use of a magnetic field for magnetic levitation in an internal combustion hydrogen engine may eliminate the need for lubrication. However, due to the need for sealing and the complicated motion of engine parts, this may not be a feasible design. The wankel engine may be better suited for this application. Additional questions and a diagram can be posted for further discussion.
Paul J. Daniels
I apologize if this is not the right forum to post a question like this...

Would the use of a magnetic field(using magnetic levitation) to keep the parts separated, prevent the need for a lubricant, in and internal combustion hydrogen engine??

Also, how much voltage, and how many amps do you estimate it would take to prevent impact in the piston cylinder?

Please explain the answer...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Internal combustion engines don't seem very suitable to me for this application due to the need to seal them to prevent the escape of the combustion products and the complicated motion of the engine parts.

hmmm... Thank you, are we allowed to post further questions based on the same idea with a rough diagram? I'm honestly Just trying to figure out a feasible design based off the problems that would arise from the amount of force applied by a hydrogen based engine... I've got some idea how it would function, but not enough technical expertise in each field needed, only an idea that I am "fleshing out".

I think @russ_watters might be right. A seal of some kind would be needed which would need lube of some kind to keep it from rubbing too much.

This has been tried with rotating machinery where the forces on the bearings are pretty constant, I don't know if any are in commercial operation, with a piston engine and hugely varying loads the problem would be much greater.

I have always thought that the wankel engine would best suited for your notion .

1. Can an engine run without any type of lubrication?

No, an engine cannot run without any type of lubrication. Lubrication is essential for reducing friction and wear between moving parts, which helps to keep the engine running smoothly and efficiently. Without proper lubrication, the engine would quickly overheat and seize up.

2. What are the potential benefits of eliminating the need for lubrication in an engine?

Eliminating the need for lubrication in an engine could potentially lead to reduced maintenance costs and longer engine life. It could also contribute to a more environmentally friendly engine by reducing the use of fossil fuels for lubrication and minimizing the release of harmful emissions.

3. How can lubrication be eliminated in an engine?

There are various ways to eliminate the need for lubrication in an engine, such as using advanced engine design and materials, utilizing alternative sources of energy, and implementing new lubrication-free technologies, such as magnetic bearings and solid lubricants.

4. Are there any challenges associated with eliminating lubrication in an engine?

Yes, there are several challenges that need to be addressed when attempting to eliminate lubrication in an engine. These include finding alternative methods for reducing friction and wear, ensuring proper cooling and heat dissipation, and maintaining the overall efficiency and performance of the engine.

5. Is eliminating the use of lubrication in engines a realistic goal?

While significant progress has been made in reducing the need for lubrication in engines, it is not yet possible to completely eliminate it. However, with continued advancements in technology and research, it is a realistic goal that could lead to more efficient and sustainable engines in the future.