Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eliminating use for lubrication in an engine?

1. Mar 4, 2015 #1
    I apologize if this is not the right forum to post a question like this...

Would the use of a magnetic field(using magnetic levitation) to keep the parts separated, prevent the need for a lubricant, in and internal combustion hydrogen engine??

Also, how much voltage, and how many amps do you estimate it would take to prevent impact in the piston cylinder?

Please explain the answer...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2015 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

Internal combustion engines don't seem very suitable to me for this application due to the need to seal them to prevent the escape of the combustion products and the complicated motion of the engine parts.

4. Mar 4, 2015 #3
    hmmm..... Thank you, are we allowed to post further questions based on the same idea with a rough diagram? I'm honestly Just trying to figure out a feasible design based off the problems that would arise from the amount of force applied by a hydrogen based engine... I've got some idea how it would function, but not enough technical expertise in each field needed, only an idea that I am "fleshing out".

5. Mar 4, 2015 #4
    I think @russ_watters might be right. A seal of some kind would be needed which would need lube of some kind to keep it from rubbing too much.

6. Mar 4, 2015 #5
    This has been tried with rotating machinery where the forces on the bearings are pretty constant, I dont know if any are in commercial operation, with a piston engine and hugely varying loads the problem would be much greater.

7. Apr 26, 2015 #6
    I have always thought that the wankel engine would best suited for your notion .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook