Elliptic Cylinder Coordinates, Acceleration Derivation....options?

In summary, the standard method to find acceleration in an elliptic cylindrical coordinate system is to take the time derivative of velocity. This can be done in terms of scalars or in terms of the inverese metric. There is also an approach that supposedly gives acceleration components, but it is not clear how accurate this would be.
mishima
I've been deriving ds, velocity and acceleration for an elliptic cylindrical coordinate system. When it comes to ds and velocity, its quite simple and quick.

The acceleration however is tedious by my current method and I'm wondering if there is some shortcut or superior method I'm not aware of.

My current method is to take the time derivative of velocity, which includes taking the time derivative of the basis vectors. This is the standard approach I've seen in mechanics texts for spherical and cylindrical. Is there any other way to find acceleration? We have looked at the metric tensor, but is there a way to get acceleration from it perhaps?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, ##a=\dot{v}=\ddot{s}## per definition. I don't see any other approach than this.

That's disheartening. A later section mentions an approach that might give acceleration components, but I am not sure how much they would match the 'standard' method above. Or more importantly, if the calculation is more elegant.

The idea seems to be to imagine a particle in motion under the influence of F = - grad V in the elliptic cylindrical coordinate system, and write the Lagrange equations of motion. Then dividing by scale factors supposedly gives something that resembles the acceleration components.

I'll give it a shot after more studying.

Likes Cryo
mishima said:
The idea seems to be to imagine a particle in motion under the influence of F = - grad V in the elliptic cylindrical coordinate system

That does indeed help in some cases the basic reason is that you can state the problem in terms of scalars, and the work in any coordinate system you want naturally.

For example, if you have a simple Lagrangian

##L=m\dot{r}^2-V\left(\mathbf{r}\right)## you can show that the equations of motion are

##\boldsymbol{\nabla}V=\frac{d}{dt}\left(m\mathbf{\dot{r}}\right)=m\mathbf{\ddot{r}}##

So the acceleration is ##\mathbf{a}=m^{-1}\boldsymbol{\nabla}V##

Now, we can actually write the Lagrangian in terms of elliptical coordinates

##L=mg_{\alpha\beta}\dot{r}^\alpha\dot{r}\beta/2-V##

The metric follows from considering the 'infinitessimal length element':
##g_{\alpha\beta}=\mathscr{a}_0^2\left(\sinh^2\mu+\sin^2\nu\right)diag\left(1,1\right)_{\alpha\beta}##

the inverese metric is:
##g^{\alpha\beta}=\frac{1}{\mathscr{a}_0^2\left(\sinh^2\mu+\sin^2\nu\right)}diag\left(1,1\right)^{\alpha\beta}##

where ##\mathscr{a}_0## is the scale-factor for the elliptical coordinates.

The Lagranigian is then:

##L=m\mathscr{a}_0^2\left(\sinh^2\mu+\sin^2\nu\right)(\dot{\mu}^2+\dot{\nu}^2)/2-V\left(\mu,\nu\right)##

Now you simpy apply get the equations of motion from the above Lagrangian, and find ##\partial_{\dots} V##:

##\partial_\mu V = \frac{d}{dt}\left(m\mathscr{a}_0^2\left(\sinh^2\mu+\sin^2\nu\right)\dot{\mu}\right) - \partial_\mu\left(m\mathscr{a}_0^2\left(\sinh^2\mu+\sin^2\nu\right)(\dot{\mu}^2+\dot{\nu}^2)/2\right)##

and same for ##\partial_{\nu} V##

Then the acceleration is:

##a^\mu=m^{-1}\left(\boldsymbol{\nabla}V\right)=m^{-1}g^{\alpha\beta}\partial_\beta V##, so

##a^\mu=\frac{m^{-1}\partial_\mu V}{\mathscr{a}_0^2\left(\sinh^2\mu+\sin^2\nu\right)}##

and same for ##a^{\nu}##. You will have to be careful about the basis vectors, they will not be normalized.

Likes mishima
Thanks, I gave this a shot with cylindrical and spherical to get my feet wet. Definitely saves a lot of algebra...going to try elliptic cylindrical now.

Likes Cryo

1. What are Elliptic Cylinder Coordinates?

Elliptic Cylinder Coordinates are a type of coordinate system used in mathematics and physics to describe positions and movements in three-dimensional space. They are based on the concept of an elliptic cylinder, which is a cylinder whose cross-section is an ellipse.

2. How are Elliptic Cylinder Coordinates different from other coordinate systems?

Unlike other coordinate systems, such as Cartesian or polar coordinates, Elliptic Cylinder Coordinates use two angles and a distance from a central point to describe a position in three-dimensional space. This makes them useful for describing movements along curved surfaces or in situations where other coordinate systems may not be as accurate.

3. What is the derivation of acceleration in Elliptic Cylinder Coordinates?

The derivation of acceleration in Elliptic Cylinder Coordinates involves using the chain rule and the definition of acceleration to find the components of acceleration in the two angular directions and the radial direction. This can be a complex process, but it allows for a more accurate description of acceleration in curved spaces.

4. Are there any other coordinate systems that are similar to Elliptic Cylinder Coordinates?

Yes, there are several coordinate systems that are similar to Elliptic Cylinder Coordinates, such as Elliptic Paraboloid Coordinates and Elliptic Cone Coordinates. These coordinate systems also use two angles and a distance from a central point to describe positions in three-dimensional space, but each has its own unique properties and applications.

5. What are some real-world applications of Elliptic Cylinder Coordinates?

Elliptic Cylinder Coordinates have many practical applications in physics and engineering. They are often used in the study of fluid dynamics, as well as in the design of curved structures such as bridges and tunnels. They are also useful in astronomy for describing the movements of celestial bodies in curved space.