1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Mobius Transformations and Stereographic Projections

1. Jan 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi all - I've been battering away at this for an hour or so, and was hoping someone else could lend a hand!

Q: Show that any Mobius transformation T not equal to 1 on [itex]\mathbb{C}_{\infinity}[/itex] has 1 or 2 fixed points. (Done) Show that the Mobius transformation corresponding (under the stereographic projection map) to a rotation of S^2 through a nonzero angle has exactly 2 fixed points [itex]z_1[/itex] and [itex]z_2[/itex], where [itex]z_2=\frac{-1}{z_1^*}[/itex]. If now T is a Mobius Transformation with 2 fixed points [itex]z_1[/itex] and [itex]z_2[/itex] satisfying [itex]z_2=\frac{-1}{z_1^*}[/itex], prove that either T corresponds to a rotation of S^2, or one of the fixed points, say [itex]z_1[/itex], is an attractive fixed point (i.e. for z not equal to [itex]z_2[/itex], [itex]T^nz_1 \to z_1[/itex] as [itex]n \to \infty[/itex]).

Now I believe I've shown that the Mobius transformation corresponding to a rotation is mapped to mobius transformations with 2 fixed points, but I'm unsure as to how to show that [itex]z_2=\frac{-1}{z_1^*}[/itex], and I'm extra extra unsure how to show the later point about attractive fixed points! Please do reply, the more you can help me the better, and I certainly do need it! Many thanks, Mathmos6

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2010 #2
    No worries, I got it sorted on my own anyways.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook