How Does Orbital Eccentricity Affect Satellite Calculations?

In summary: If he had wanted to solve for "a", he would have needed to look up the first equation and substitute in "a" for "e". And if he had wanted to solve for "eccentricity", he would have needed to look up the second equation and substitute in "eccentricity" for "a".
superaznnerd
elliptical orbit question please help

Homework Statement

see attachment

Homework Equations

2a (average distance of satellite from central body) = A (aphelium) + P (perihelium)
ME = KE + PE
ME = -GMm/24
KE = .5mv^2
PE = -GMm/r
ME orignall = ME final

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to put ME = KE + PE = constant.
I solved for theoretical A, and P, if the velocity was only transverse.
Then, I subtracted the theoretical P by the distance caused by the KE. I sitll did not get the answer htough

Attachments

• ellipt orbit.jpg
    ellipt orbit.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 536
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Please list all of the formulas and steps you did. Not sure what you are defining as A and P.

anyone?

Given the components of the velocity, can you determine the angle at that point? What is the polar equation for an ellipse in terms of the eccentricity?

There is a formula for eccentricity in terms of energy and angular momentum. If you don't know it, then you will have to solve for it using the conservation of energy and the conservation of angular momentum.

I looked at the wiki page, and have no clue hwo to apply conservation of angular momentum. could someone please show me how to do it?

Calculate the angular momentum of the satellite using

[tex]\vec{L} = m\vec{r}\times \vec{v}[/tex]

Don't even bother with the satellite mass. It's just going to divide out in the end. Just use specific energy and specific angular momentum.

superaznnerd said:
I looked at the wiki page
Which wiki page? There are several of them.

and have no clue hwo to apply conservation of angular momentum. could someone please show me how to do it?
No, we can't show you how to do it. That would be cheating.

Can you look up the polar form of the equation for an ellipse, in terms of r, $\theta$, and the eccentricity? Can you find the angle, given the components of the velocity?

The polar form of an ellipse has two unknowns: 'a' and eccentricity. So it won't be enough to solve for the eccentricity alone.

I think the original poster has moved on by now.

The sad thing is that the word "eccentricity" is in big bold letters in the attachment in the original post. The OP claims to have "read the wiki page". Which one, I don't know. The wiki page on "Eccentricity" is a redirection page, and one of the redirects is to "Orbital eccentricity". The first equation specifies how to solve this exact problem in general; the third equation specializes this first equation to gravitation. In other words, exactly what the OP needed to use to solve this problem is right there, right up front, on "the wiki page".

What is an elliptical orbit?

An elliptical orbit is a type of orbit in which an object, such as a planet or satellite, follows a curved path around another object due to the force of gravity.

How is an elliptical orbit different from a circular orbit?

An elliptical orbit is different from a circular orbit because it is not a perfect circle, meaning the distance between the two objects changes throughout the orbit. In a circular orbit, the distance between the two objects remains constant.

What causes an object to follow an elliptical orbit?

The force of gravity between two objects is what causes an object to follow an elliptical orbit. The larger the mass of the object being orbited, the stronger the gravitational force and the more curved the orbit will be.

Can an object have both an elliptical and circular orbit?

Yes, an object can have both an elliptical and circular orbit. This is known as a Hohmann transfer orbit, where the object follows an elliptical orbit around one object, and then a circular orbit around another object.

What are the practical implications of an elliptical orbit?

An elliptical orbit has practical implications for space travel and satellite communication. Objects in an elliptical orbit experience varying levels of gravitational force, which can affect the trajectory and speed of spacecraft. Additionally, satellites in elliptical orbits may have difficulty maintaining a constant line of sight for communication purposes.