EM Field Angular Momentum Emission Without Emitting Energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between radiating energy and the Poynting vector, and the possibility of emitting EM angular momentum without causing energy losses through radiation, using the example of a charged magnet. The concept of the Unruh effect is mentioned as a potential explanation.
particlezoo
To radiate energy, the Poynting vector must not drop faster than with the inverse square of the distance. Under what circumstances can EM angular momentum be emitted to the vacuum of space (i.e. without being recovered via inductive coupling) and yet not lead to energy losses through radiation? Is it possible?
Kevin M.

Likes ORF and Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Say there is a magnet. We bring charge from infinite distance and put it on magnet. Magnetic field give Lorentz force to the charge so we give torque to the field. Thus angular moment is put to electromagnetic field. This is an absorption not a emission but the reverse process, i.e. discharge from charged magnet might be of your interest. Best regards.

I am not sure at all here, but thinking in terms of photons, its like you want a photon to possesses momentum but not energy which simply is not possible.

Likes vanhees71
Hello

Well... I don't want to full your head with hot air (my mother-language is not English, I don't know if the idiom is correct), but you may take a look to this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unruh_effect

Unruh derived the effect assuming linear acceleration; I think that it is still correct for centripetal.

Greetings.

1. What is EM Field Angular Momentum Emission Without Emitting Energy?

EM Field Angular Momentum Emission Without Emitting Energy refers to the phenomenon in which a system's electromagnetic field can have angular momentum without emitting any energy. This concept is based on the fact that the angular momentum of an EM field can be attributed to the distribution of energy within the field, rather than the actual emission of energy.

2. How is this concept different from traditional EM field emission?

The key difference between traditional EM field emission and EM Field Angular Momentum Emission Without Emitting Energy is the source of the angular momentum. In traditional emission, the angular momentum is a result of the emitted energy, while in the latter, the angular momentum is a result of the energy distribution within the field itself.

3. What is the practical application of this concept?

The practical application of EM Field Angular Momentum Emission Without Emitting Energy is still being explored and researched. However, it has potential implications in the development of new technologies and understanding of fundamental physics principles.

4. Can this concept be observed in real-life scenarios?

Yes, this concept has been observed in various experiments and simulations. For example, it has been observed in the behavior of photons in a circularly polarized light beam, as well as in the rotation of charged particles in a magnetic field.

5. What are some current challenges in studying this concept?

One of the main challenges in studying EM Field Angular Momentum Emission Without Emitting Energy is the difficulty in detecting and measuring the angular momentum of an EM field without relying on the traditional methods of energy emission. Additionally, there is still much to be understood about the fundamental principles that govern this phenomenon.