Why Does Energy Decrease When Work Is Done?

In summary, the conversation discusses a pair of capacitor plates that are being pulled apart at constant potential difference. This results in a decrease in energy stored between the plates, which is explained by the fact that half of the energy from the battery goes towards increasing the internal energy and the other half goes towards performing external work. It is noted that this means the system is doing negative work, and also that energy is being supplied to the battery. The speaker is looking for confirmation on their understanding and any additional insights. Another participant in the conversation confirms their understanding and mentions that this is shown in advanced electromagnetic texts.
sachi
We have a pair of capacitor plates that are being pulled apart against their attractive force at constant potential difference. We find that the energy stored between the plates decreases when this happens, and we are asked to explain why the energy decreases even though work is being done against the internal force.

I think this is because a battery is required to keep the plates at constant p.d. We find that when the energy between the plates is increased, half of the energy supplied by the battery goes to increasing the internal energy, and half goes to performing external work. I think therefore that if work is done on the system, this constitues the system doing negative work, and therefore we also get a negative increment in the internal energy (interestingly this would also mean that energy is being supplied to the battery.) I would appreciate it if someone would tell me if I'm going along the right lines, and also any pointers if I'm not. thanks very much.

Sachi

Physics news on Phys.org
For 'large' plate capacitors the E-field is constant and independent of the distance between the plates. So the potential difference across the plates is V=Ed. So if you increase the distance, E must decrease to keep V constant. So charge is flowing away from the the plates.

sachi said:
We have a pair of capacitor plates that are being pulled apart against their attractive force at constant potential difference. We find that the energy stored between the plates decreases when this happens, and we are asked to explain why the energy decreases even though work is being done against the internal force.

I think this is because a battery is required to keep the plates at constant p.d. We find that when the energy between the plates is increased, half of the energy supplied by the battery goes to increasing the internal energy, and half goes to performing external work. I think therefore that if work is done on the system, this constitues the system doing negative work, and therefore we also get a negative increment in the internal energy (interestingly this would also mean that energy is being supplied to the battery.) I would appreciate it if someone would tell me if I'm going along the right lines, and also any pointers if I'm not. thanks very much.

Sachi
You are basicly correct. At constant voltage, twice as much energy is put into the battery than the energy you expend. This is shown in advanced EM texts.

Related to Why Does Energy Decrease When Work Is Done?

What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It can exist in various forms such as kinetic, potential, thermal, electrical, chemical, and nuclear energy.

What is work?

Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another. It is defined as the product of the force applied to an object and the distance moved in the direction of the force.

Why does energy decrease when work is done?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred from one form to another. When work is done, energy is transferred from the object doing the work to the object on which the work is being done. This results in a decrease in the energy of the object doing the work.

How is energy lost during work?

Energy can be lost during work due to various factors such as friction, heat transfer, and sound production. These processes result in the conversion of some of the energy into other forms, leading to a decrease in the overall energy of the system.

Can energy be gained during work?

Yes, energy can be gained during work when external energy is supplied to the system. For example, when a person lifts a weight, they are doing work and transferring energy to the weight. However, the person's body is also gaining potential energy due to the work they are doing.