Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EM Wave creation in different frames of reference

1. Oct 24, 2015 #1
    OK, I'm sure I'm just not thinking about this the right way, so please point out my simple mistake.

Imagine a charged particle and 2 observers.

Observer S is stationary relative to the charged particle, so sees no magnetic field from it.

Observer A moves back and forth in front of the particle, accelerating, then decelerating over and over, back and forth.

Would not Observer A see the charged particle as accelerating and decelerating, from their point of view/frame of reference?
    Would not the acceleration of a charged particle from Observers A perspective create a EM wave which would propagate outwards?

Now from Observer S's perspective, there is just a charged particle and the other Observer moving around, no EM wave is created.

What am I missing??
    Thanks for your time!
    E

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2015 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Because S and the particle are moving back and forth (as opposed to inertially, in a straight line with constant speed) they know that they are being accelerated at each turnaround. S and A are not equivalent observers; if they're both holding a mass on a spring, S's spring is alternately tensing and relaxing while A's is not. Thus, they both know to do the calculations for an accelerated charge I stead of one at rest.

(Be aware, however, that you still will find a problem if you try calculating the exact speed of the electromagnetic radiation relative to the two observers using classical physics. That's why we need special relativity)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook