EM Wave Reflection at Dielectric Boundaries: Exploring Normal Incidence

In summary: I don't really see the difference.From what I can tell, you are choosing to flip the electric field in this case.In summary, the reflected electric field at a dielectric boundary is not always the same as the incident field. This is because the reflected field is determined by the Fresnel reflection coefficients, which are based on the boundary conditions.
madness
I have a simple question about reflecting EM waves at dielectric boundaries. To best illustrate my question, consider normal incidence. The incident wave has the wavevector k positive, and the reflected has k negative. Since B = k x E , and k has changed sign, B must also change sign. This is my problem - why can't E change sign instead? This would satisfy the necessary equations. It also makes intuitive sense, at normal incidence E and B are both parallel to the plane, and flipping either would preserve the handedness. Why is B special?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the dielectric constant epsilon. If epsilon is greater than 1, which is the usual case, then the reflected E will not flip. For epsilon less than 1, E would flip.
For instance, for a wave leaving a dielectric into air, the reflected E does flip.

Thanks clem. Do you know how to show this from the boundary conditions?

k is the propagation vector, it represents the direction of the wave. When the wave reflects, the direction is reversed, hence k changes sign.
If you change the sign of E instead of that of k, you have a wave traveling in the same direction as initially.
Clem, can you help me understand what role permittivity has to play in the direction of E? I don't know at all about it..

ksac I think you have misunderstood my question. Given that k changes sign, E or B (but not both) could change sign to satisfy the B = k x E condition. A further condition is required to constrain which one will flip.

madness said:
Thanks clem. Do you know how to show this from the boundary conditions?

The Fresnel reflection coefficients have already done this for you.

The Fresnel reflection coefficients are derived from the boundary conditions - they assume what I am trying to prove.

It is done in all textbooks.
In a dielectric, the magnitudes of E and B are related by B=sqrt{epsilon mu} E.
From Maxwell's equations, both E and B tangential are continuous at the interface.
This means (with mu =1) that E_1+E_1'=sqrt{epsilon}E_2
and E_1-E_1'=E_2.
Solve for the reflected E_1'.

This is exactly the problem! Why do you choose to put the negative sign on the second equation rather than the first? From what I can see you are choosing to flip the electric field in this case.

madness said:
This is exactly the problem! Why do you choose to put the negative sign on the second equation rather than the first? From what I can see you are choosing to flip the electric field in this case.

It doesn't matter, you get the same solution.

Yeah thanks I figured it out. It seems to just be a convention. You write E as the one which doesn't change, and if this turns out to be false it goes negative, which in turn makes B go positive.

Related to EM Wave Reflection at Dielectric Boundaries: Exploring Normal Incidence

1. What is an EM wave and how does it reflect at a dielectric boundary?

An electromagnetic (EM) wave is a type of wave that consists of oscillating electric and magnetic fields. When an EM wave encounters a dielectric boundary (a boundary between two materials with different electrical properties), it can either be transmitted through the boundary or reflected back. The amount of reflection depends on the properties of the materials and the angle of incidence.

2. What is normal incidence and how does it affect EM wave reflection at a dielectric boundary?

Normal incidence refers to when an EM wave hits a dielectric boundary perpendicularly. In this case, the angle of incidence is 0 degrees and the wave will be reflected back with no change in direction. The amount of reflection at normal incidence depends on the difference in the electrical properties of the materials on either side of the boundary.

3. How is the reflection coefficient used to measure the amount of EM wave reflection at a dielectric boundary?

The reflection coefficient is a measure of how much of an EM wave is reflected at a dielectric boundary. It is calculated by dividing the amplitude of the reflected wave by the amplitude of the incident wave. The reflection coefficient can range from 0 (indicating no reflection) to 1 (indicating full reflection).

4. What factors affect the reflection coefficient at normal incidence for EM waves?

The reflection coefficient at normal incidence is affected by the electrical properties of the materials on either side of the boundary, specifically their permittivity and permeability. It is also affected by the frequency and polarization of the EM wave, as well as the angle of incidence.

5. How is the Fresnel equation used to calculate the reflection coefficient at normal incidence?

The Fresnel equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the reflection coefficient at normal incidence. It takes into account the electrical properties of the materials on either side of the boundary, as well as the angle of incidence and the polarization of the EM wave. By plugging in these values, the Fresnel equation can provide an accurate calculation of the reflection coefficient at normal incidence.