EM waves in phase and E/B = c question

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, and how they are in phase with each other. The textbook states that E/B = c, but the question arises about what happens when both fields are zero. The explanation is given that E = cB, and the ratio of E/B is constant even at the point where both fields are zero. This can be mathematically shown through the concept of limits in Calculus.
cosmogrl
My textbook (Serway and Jewett, Physics for Scientists and Engineers) says that Emax/Bmax = E/B = c. And that E and B are in phase. My question is, if they are in phase, they both reach zero at the same time. At that point, E/B = 0/0 and not c. I know I am missing something, but not sure what.

E = Emax cos (kx - wt) and B = Bmax cos (kx - wt), so if they are in phase, they both equal zero at the same time (when cos = 0) and max at the same time. My brain is having a hard time understanding what happens when they both equal zero, how does that tell me that E/B = c?

Physics news on Phys.org
The way to think of it is that ##E(x,t) = E_{max}\cos(kx-\omega t)##, ##B(x,t) = B_{max}\cos(kx-\omega t)## and that ##E_{max}=cB_{max}##. Clearly when ##E(x,t)## is zero, so is ##B(x,t)##. From the third equation you get ##E_{max}/B_{max} = c##. You can take the ratio ##E(x,t)/B(x,t)## and verify that it is equal to ##c## at all points and times except where and when the fields vanish.

On edit: Nothing happens when the fields vanish. Think of this, you have N kids in a room and N pieces of candy. You give out one piece of candy to one kid tell the kid to eat it and then leave the room. Repeat with another kid and so on. Through this process, the ratio of candy pieces to kids is always 1, all the way down to the last kid. What happens to the ratio after the last kid eats the last piece of candy and leaves the room?

Last edited:
Yes, that's a better way to think of the relationship between E and B, as E = cB. In the usual derivation which you can see at e.g.

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node48.html

it actually emerges as ##B_{max} = E_{max} / c##. (equation 457 on that page, with different notation for the amplitude of the wave)

kuruman said:
The way to think of it is that ##E(x,t) = E_{max}\cos(kx-\omega t)##, ##B(x,t) = B_{max}\cos(kx-\omega t)## and that ##E_{max}=cB_{max}##. Clearly when ##E(x,t)## is zero, so is ##B(x,t)##. From the third equation you get ##E_{max}/B_{max} = c##. You can take the ratio ##E(x,t)/B(x,t)## and verify that it is equal to ##c## at all points and times except where and when the fields vanish.

On edit: Nothing happens when the fields vanish. Think of this, you have N kids in a room and N pieces of candy. You give out one piece of candy to one kid tell the kid to eat it and then leave the room. Repeat with another kid and so on. Through this process, the ratio of candy pieces to kids is always 1, all the way down to the last kid. What happens to the ratio after the last kid eats the last piece of candy and leaves the room?
I like the candy/kid analogy, but is there a way to show mathematically how E/B = c even when E and B are zero? Or at that point, do we have to do the ratio of the amplitudes?

cosmogrl said:
At that point, E/B = 0/0 and not c.
Nah. That's not the way it works. 0/0 is indeterminate and not meaningful operation. The Limit of E/B as E approaches 0 is still c. That's the basic idea of Calculus.

1. What are EM waves in phase?

EM waves in phase refer to two electromagnetic waves that have the same frequency and are in step with each other. This means that their peaks and troughs align perfectly, resulting in a stronger and more coherent wave.

2. How is the speed of light related to the ratio of electric and magnetic fields (E/B = c)?

E/B = c is an expression of Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electromagnetic waves. It states that the ratio of the electric and magnetic fields in an EM wave is always equal to the speed of light in a vacuum, which is approximately 3 x 10^8 m/s.

3. Can EM waves be out of phase?

Yes, EM waves can be out of phase. This means that their peaks and troughs do not align, resulting in a weaker and less coherent wave. Out of phase waves can also cancel each other out, leading to destructive interference.

4. What is the significance of EM waves being in phase?

When EM waves are in phase, they can reinforce each other and create a more powerful wave. This is important in technologies such as radio communications, where a strong and coherent signal is necessary for effective transmission.

5. How are EM waves in phase and E/B = c related to the wave-particle duality of light?

The wave-particle duality of light states that light can behave as both a wave and a particle. The concept of EM waves in phase and E/B = c is based on the wave nature of light, as it describes the behavior of light waves. This concept is also supported by other experiments, such as the double-slit experiment, which demonstrate the wave-like behavior of light.