Emailing a professor from prospective grad school

In summary, it is not required to find a supervisor before applying to a program, but it is a good idea to speak to them and ask questions. Some good guidelines to follow when sending an email are to be sure to investigate the research they are doing, and to mention that you are interested in working in that area.
Godric
So I have decided on my first choice of school and program for my master's degree, (Medical Physics at University of Calgary if anyone is interested in knowing) and I am wondering how to go about emailing a professor. The program says you are not required to find a supervisor before applying, but I would still like to touch bases and ask questions. I am nervous of creating a negative first impression, what are some good guidelines to follow when sending that first email?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry too much, professors are usually too busy to dissect every single part of your email.
Be sure to investigate the kind of research they're doing. Mention this in the email and tell them you are interested in working in that field, and whether he is taking on any students.

Likes Godric
Thanks for the advice. I'm from a small university and sometimes the people from larger universities feel like they are a world away, but they are still just people. So far every professor's research looks interesting to me, but I'll have to do some self-reflection on what is most interesting to me.

Well, you have time to decide this. But remember that you will do research in a specific area for 4 years or more. So be sure to pick an area that you absolutely love to death! The two major mistakes people can make is not picking an area they absolutely love, and picking an advisor that does not fit their style well. So you need to be very picky about these kinds of things.

Likes Godric
Thank you again. I am a very picky person when it comes to decision making, so I shouldn't have any difficulties in being picky for this!
While I'm asking questions... Will having a math minor be something that looks good on my grad application or is it something that wouldn't have much attention paid to it?

Related to Emailing a professor from prospective grad school

1. How should I address the professor in my email?

It is important to address the professor formally, using their title (Dr./Professor) and last name. This shows respect and professionalism.

2. What information should I include in my email?

Your email should include your name, your academic background, your research interests, and why you are interested in working with this particular professor. You can also include any relevant experience or accomplishments.

3. Is it appropriate to attach my resume or CV to the email?

Yes, it is appropriate to attach your resume or CV to the email. This can provide the professor with more information about your academic and professional background.

4. How soon should I expect a response from the professor?

Professors are busy and may not be able to respond immediately. It is best to give them at least a week to respond. If you do not hear back after a week, you can send a polite follow-up email.

5. Should I follow up with the professor after the initial email?

If you do not hear back from the professor after a week, you can send a polite follow-up email. However, if the professor has already responded and is not interested in working with you, it is best to respect their decision and not continue to follow up.